Need help printing 10 3" pins on wood by this Sat. Print head does not move, stuck at "homing" or "centering"

Thank you for asking! 9 of the pins are here Inkscape SVG - Google Drive I believe they are working on 1 more. They are cut on 5mm ply, I usually get RevolutionPly 5mm x 4-ft x 8-ft Poplar Sanded Plywood in the Plywood department at Lowes.com. I have a few 12"x20" sheets that I’ve cut down to fit the GF bed. We are based in Bellevue, WA. I did contact Olympic Laser Engraving and a couple other places, but they can’t get it done by Saturday (that’s the year end party!).

I"m having the same problem! Stuck on centering, homing and scanning depending on how far it makes it in the process. I’ve tried everything suggested, and still nothing. Email to support. Hopefully they will respond quickly.

If you get to keep it after it’s fixed but can’t raise the money, drop me a note. I think it’s important to support robotics and other maker oriented programs for kids

4 Likes

I was not able to access the Google Drive to see the file, but since it is Thursday I doubt I could get anything to Washington by Saturday even if I had the file and material.

@cald5924 & @slcunique
Only the original person is helped in a thread - if you’re having your own issues you should either send an email to support@glowforge.com or create your own post in P&S.

This Drive isn’t accessible - can you open it to “anyone with the link”. We do have users in WA (including the main offices). There’s always a chance @dan could help out, but you can check out this map and see if you can tag individuals who are close to you!

Thank you for the offer. I will follow up if/when we get to that decision. Just a side note, our robotics team used to build their competition robots out of wood until a couple of years. But, the team wants to keep its history and look and feel by continuing to design the pits, pins in laser cuts on wood.

Ah, edited the shared link. Thanks.

1 Like

Updated the shared link. Thank you for trying :slight_smile:

Update: A friend who has a GF has offered for me to get these printed tomorrow. GF Support looked through the logs and determined that the Glowforge has an issue with its power system. If anyone has come across this before and has suggestions, I’m happy to take apart (and put back!) subunits to get to the bottom of this. Besides, the high school robotics team members get lessons in repair and maintenance! And thank you all for help!

1 Like

@raymondking32 has done the most in-depth repairs of anyone I’m aware of.

1 Like

@deirdrebeth haha, I have done a bit of taking apart, that’s true! The two parts that I have the most familiarity with are the board that the lid’s black ribbon cable connects to at the back of the machine, and the one that the white ribbon cable connects to on the left hand side. I had a similar issue where mine would be stuck “centering”, which was resolved by fixing the board that the black ribbon cable connects to. I did a write-up on that here: Black Ribbon Circuit Board - Replacement Guide

I’d suggest that you try to visually check to see if this board has any sort of obvious damage, such as black burn marks or corrosion. The way the machine knows where to send the laser head, is during the startup, the head is sent to the rough center of the machine, the camera then takes a picture to find the head, and adjusts it until it is centered. From there it “homes” it. If it cannot understand where the head is, then it gets tripped up. This information is all gathered originally through the black ribbon cable (which could also be the problem), sent through that connection board, and then through a separate white cable into the main board on the right side of the machine. Anyway, the visual inspection is where I would start. The part and shipping is much more cost effective than ordering a replacement machine, but you’d have to be able to diagnose the problem correctly.

I found corrosion on my board only after ordering a black ribbon cable replacement and the problem still being present. Had I done a bit more poking around, my problem would have been more obvious.

3 Likes

I’ve reviewed the logs and unfortunately I agree with the determination there is a power supply problem.

Let us know if you’d like to proceed with the replacement offer. We’re here if you need us.

I’m going to move this topic over to Beyond the Manual so the discussion can continue there.

I’ll chip in as well if that’s the route you take.

1 Like

Thank you. I will look through that. Although, GF Support seems to be sure that its a power problem.

Thank you for the offer. I will ping you if we go that route.

Update: I did manage to print using a friend’s GF and we did give the high school seniors their pins! The GF, though, we decided to accept GF’s offer to send us a refurbished GF. The cost is going to be $851 + $200 (shipping) + 10.1% tax = about $1157.15 if GF estimates hold. I will reach out to the members who expressed an interest in helping the team with the funds. If anyone feels generous enough to contribute to a high school robotics team, please DM me. Your donation will be to a public high school or to FIRST Washington, a 501(c)3 org that runs our competitions. The team can access funds from both pots and your donation is tax deductible. And thanks to everyone who helped - great to have an active community!

1 Like

Update: I did manage to print using a friend’s GF and we did give the high school seniors their pins! The GF, though, we decided to accept GF’s offer to send us a refurbished GF. The cost is going to be $851 + $200 (shipping) + 10.1% tax = about $1157.15 if GF estimates hold. I am reaching out to you as you expressed an interest in chipping in towards the expense. If you are still up for it, your donation will be to a public high school or to FIRST Washington, a 501(c)3 org that runs our competitions. The team can access funds from both pots and your donation is tax deductible. Please let me know if you are interested in donating. My email surlu@saintsrobotics.com Thanks much!

1 Like

Update: I did manage to print using a friend’s GF and we did give the high school seniors their pins! The GF, though, we decided to accept GF’s offer to send us a refurbished GF. The cost is going to be $851 + $200 (shipping) + 10.1% tax = about $1157.15 if GF estimates hold. I am reaching out to you as you expressed an interest in chipping in towards the expense. If you are still up for it, your donation will be to a public high school or to FIRST Washington, a 501(c)3 org that runs our competitions. The team can access funds from both pots and your donation is tax deductible. Please let me know if you are interested in donating. My email surlu@saintsrobotics.com Thanks much!

What is that? Are you able to take Paypal?