Need help with acrylic kerf!

I am trying to cut a slip together acrylic controller stand. I dont own a pair of calipers and really need to know a good amount to adjust for kerf so that my stand doesn’t sway side to side. I am putting walnut veneer with the word Xbox and a logo cut out onto the sides of it so I will do 1/8"+veneer thickness - kerf as the width of the slots on the horizontal supports.

1 Like

Kerf is really hard to measure without calipers…they are not too expensive…I have a great one from Harbor Freight.

Better than not having one.
Here’s one for $10
https://m.harborfreight.com/6-in-composite-digital-caliper-63586.html

15 Likes

Take it from @smcgathyfay, owning a pair of calipers is part of owning a :glowforge: being your first set I’d spent 25 - 40 when you realize how much you use them and that you need a set several places you can go cheap.

8 Likes

You need to get a set of calipers, because the acrylic most likely is not 1/8" thick and basing the slot width on that assumption for the thickness is going to be much too large for a snap/snug fit.

8 Likes

I second this…

8 Likes

Third.

4 Likes

A calipers is an essential tool, but in the meanwhile, you will need to test your material. Regardless of having a calipers or not, it is important to try it out with a small piece of veneer and acrylic. Start at .007 for the acrylic. If it is thin, then you might not need that much. Veneer also, start with .007 for the kerf (that’s 1/2 the kerf width.) I’m not going to get into the procedure for adjustment because everyone seems to have a different way to describe it, deal with it, and adjust for it.

12 Likes

Yes^^
Testing is the only way to be sure of the result with any material, even from the same source.
Test all the things.

5 Likes

Definitely agree on getting some nice calipers — digital definitely!! You will use these so much if you are wanting accuracy (it will save money on sizing issues!) This is what mine is like…ABSOLUTELY love it — measures in inches, fractions, mm… slides sooooo smoothly. When I was making a book and needed to know the inside measurement of a hole to make the book cover match the spiral paper — it was spot on! General Ultra-Tech digital calipers

3 Likes

I didn’t offer any help either, but I noticed you were the ONLY one who did…so kudos to you. Suggesting she buy calipers was good, but you were the one who actually offered something else.

5 Likes

Who you calling a she???

2 Likes

Thank you all, I have known that calipers are necessary and have now ordered them. Ghetto fix but I just wedged a cutoff piece of veneer in a few places and it worked beautifully. Next time… That won’t be required.

2 Likes

My kerf is in the .007" range for most materials. Of course it depends on power. If I was getting it twice that wide on veneers I’d be looking at dialing back the power.

5 Likes

Sorry…you’re right. There was no way to know from your avatar. At least @smcgathyfay’s photo gave her away. :roll_eyes: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

How dare you reply with kindness… You monster

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.