Need something other than inkscape

I’ve been been able to use it long enough to find out its bugs. It lags so much and just sputters. I don’t get how something that is suppose to be partially cloud base runs slower then SW2012 running on my 2009 beaten laptop.

As long as you save often, you’re mostly good. I find that saving after every new Sketch creation, or major move operation, or Extrude, or rectangular/circular object creation, or…basically, save every 5 minutes.

I tried the recent CAM export to SVG tutorial. And I think that really turned me off using it in my workflow for lasering.

1 Like

I do all my work in SW 2017 and then save as PDF. I haven’t had a problem so far. Sometimes I will have to bring in an image using the GFUI if SW doesn’t like it.

2 Likes

The trick here is… knowing that the DXF file format does NOT support curves. Yes it’s OK with circles and circular arcs, maybe even ellipses/elliptical arcs, but not bezier or spline curves. Doesn’t matter which CAD package or vector illustration program you’re using, DXF simply doesn’t support complex curves.

If you can get a PDF file output, that’s the way to go.

12 Likes

You could try Onshape’s for the CAD. It’s definitely slower but the workflow is pretty much identical to SAW. I found it a very easy move.

2 Likes

Rhino might be a good option. Unlike Illustrator it’s not a POS toy and it will import and export the vast majority of the filetypes you might throw at it. Version 6 even supports SVGs (which have been conspiciously missing).

It took me many tries to switch from SW to F360. The transition wasn’t easy, but I’m really happy that I won’t be extorted into paying their absurd “maintenance” fees* any more. 2017 seemed to be all about copying Fusion 360 anyway, so if you’re able to use SW17 you might have a leg up on switching to Fusion 360.

I’ve saved splines to DXF just fine. Some crappy software does seem to have trouble opening them though.

• $1000 a year, for anyone curious
2 Likes

OpenSCAD can import DXF and export SVG.

5 Likes

Say what? They’re aren’t even similar :flushed:

They have similarities.

1 Like

Awesome. Just need a translator.

1 Like

The Venn diagram of their capabilities has the slimmest sliver of overlap :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I just don’t get why you call Illustrator a toy?

1 Like

He just hates illustrator, no worries.

4 Likes

Nearly every time I’ve used Illustrator I’ve hated the experience. You’re right though, the fact that I hate it doesn’t mean it’s a toy. I do stand by my POS description though. Last I saw the software doesn’t even have the option of reversing the direction of zoom when you scroll. Also, its apparently unable to open DXFs with splines in them without ruining them. And it can’t join multiple sets of touching-but-separated lines (eg. two squares that don’t overlap, each made of four individual lines with their endpoints connected) in a single step without drawing an additional (pointless) line between them. Not the biggest deal if you have two squares to deal with, but a total PITA if you have 100. I also find the bitmap to vector conversion to be terrible, worse than Inkscape and far, far inferior to Vector Magic (which does an excellent job).

The only way to maintain access to the software is to perpetually rent it from Adobe for a somewhat high price, and when/if you stop paying, the software stops functioning - good for Adobe’s bottom line, bad for anyone who isn’t making a living with it.

People can make very nice artwork with it though.

Writing this post inspired me to go uninstall my old Adobe programs from when I had a Creative Cloud subscription. Starting the uninstall process brought up the Creative Cloud manager program, which immediately started updating… or so it says. Unfortunately, the update is not actually progressing and appears to be frozen. Great job Adobe!

1 Like

Know a guy who worked almost exclusively in Adobe for his own products and apple when he worked with us. He liked the monthly subscription as it was cheaper than buying the software every time it came out. Not a whole lot but savings are savings and this way he was always up to date with the latest fixes too(for good or bad)

2 Likes

I have had alot of luck with DraftSight. It’s a 2D autocad type software made by the same folks that make Solidworks. Import DXF, make adjustments if required, export as SVG. Bonus is they offer a free version.

5 Likes

From the site:

Scalable Vector Graphics:

If you need to bring the contents of a drawing into a graphics program (like Corel Paint Shop Pro) and you need the image to be scalable, use the Print command to create an SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics). Since SVG files are XML-based, many graphics programs support this format.

!! Omg awesome. Thank you for reminding me of this program @MechanicalGoose

1 Like

I’m really happy with the time I’ve invested in OnShape using the KiriMoto plugin. Meets my 3D printing needs at the moment and does help make SVGs for some of my projects.

I still don’t mind doing Inkscape for a lot of my designs because the text functionality is great and the extensions really do a lot of heavy lifting.

1 Like

I get your pain, may I offer the following?

On Windows this is handled by Windows. (Tho you’re the first person I’ve met who’s wanted to do such a thing)

This has always been possible with the Live Bucket tool and more recently also the Shape Builder tool.

True, it’s never been great, tho Illustrator doesn’t really bill itself as a converter - it’s more of a new-work-generator. The Adobe Capture app actually does a pretty great job, and faster, if you’re looking for black and white only.

Since I do make my living using the Adobe Suite I actually much prefer the new subscription model. As @wesleyjames alluded, the few hundred $$ each year is far preferable to the $2500 they used to ask for every two years for the Master Collection. On the old system people would wait years to upgrade causing all sorts of compatibility issues between users. Now CC includes all the new tools/updates whenever I want them, the ability to roll back versions, integration with the mobile apps, new programs like Muse, Felix, etc, web hosting space and Typekit. Win all around. If you want Illustrator only without the rest of the suite it’s only $10/ month. It’s powerful, pro software. Would you expect to get Rhino or Maya for free? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is the first I’ve heard of Windows having per-application scroll settings, since it’s something you’ve heard of, have any interest in linking to some instructions? It looks like maybe AutoHotKey and some mouse software might be able to do it, but the existence of those softwares doesn’t excuse Adobe. If you’re suggesting reversing the scroll direction for the entire system… no thanks. You’re saying you’ve seriously never heard anyone have an issue with the zoom/scroll direction in AI?
Doing a web search for the words I’ve highlighted may elucidate the existence of this being an old and common complaint, one that most (all?) other graphic-design programs have solved by including an option in their settings.

This? Did the person who made this video leave some functionality out? Because nowhere in that video are connected lines joined at their endpoints, and nothing done in the video can be described as a single step.

This doesn’t seem to be joining lines together either, and seems to require many steps.

There’s a tool in Illustrator called “join”, that tool does stupid things when multiple disconnected shapes are selected.

Basically, I think Illustrator should be able to solve the problem described here…

… without requiring a lot of time/user input. I have no reason to believe that it can. I’m interested in seeing a solution though, if one exists.

In Rhino you’d need to hit Ctrl + A and then click the “join” button.

2 Likes

Artcam also is great for joining lines. Select the vectors, then either join by straight or curved. Then you can close them with the same option. After they are joined, you can even reduce their numbers.

If artcam could produce SVG, or at least the older version I own, then I would be using it more.

1 Like