Need testers: TabGen (Fusion 360 Plug-in) improvements

Now with kerf adjustment, I present TabGen v0.51-alpha

This version required more effort than I expected to get kerf adjustment working, so it may not be as stable as the previously posted v0.46-alpha. A key note for that previous version: if you have preview enabled, there was a bug preventing it from saving the parametric expressions in parameters.

Here’s an example of the latest version’s parameters:

This new version creates quite a few extra construction lines in the sketch, that it uses simply for the definition of parameters that are used by the sketch, extrusion and patterns.

If you’re looking for speed, disabling parametric functionality will be much faster. Leaving parametric functionality enabled allows for adjustments to parameters after creation.

50%20PM

Also, this version starts the use of an Advanced tab to separate options that are not as likely to be used. This includes the ability to offset tabs from the sides of the face, and from the face itself. In other words, you can now create tabs in random interior sections of the selected body, by offsetting them from a face.

52%20PM

9 Likes

Okay! Gonna have to try it out. Many thanks! :grinning:

2 Likes

Well, there goes my plans for the evening. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for this!

1 Like

Arrrrgggg. If you already downloaded 0.50, I had to fix a typo that caused a crash. I’ve reposted it.

1 Like

Ahhhh, the joys of beta testing. :wink:

1 Like

There are two other features that I’m working on that I disabled so that I could get this out, and when I disabled them, I mistyped a line; and, of course, didn’t validate it before I posted.

2 Likes

Hot on the heels of Alpha v0.50, TabGen v0.51-alpha fixes a bug introduced in v0.50, when disabling the Start with Tab option, and drastically improves performance when the parametric option is enabled.

1 Like

Feel free to download and test the latest version. I’m looking for any feedback on options, bugs or functionality.

Coming up for v0.52 (I hope):

3 Likes

Okay, first off, I love where this is going, you are tring to give me my one request and add all kinds of things I’m not bright enough to even think to ask for. This thing is going to be epic.

Now, sorry, I don’t mean to be the bug finder, I just am.

Two things and nither throw errors so I have to show screen shots of the behavor.

First, if “disable parameteric” is not checked, it previews fine but when you click “OK” you get this:

and if you add a kerf it offsets on one side without being ask to:

3 Likes

Ok, I’m going to start calling you bug man.

2 Likes

If you have it, can you give me a screenshot of the parameters and/or the options you’re using?

I isolated and it is in the text above but let me get the screens, they are both repeatable.

1 Like

This is without disabling para:

Then I click OK:

Oops!?

This is with kerf but para disabled:

See the undesirable offset on the left?

2 Likes

Hmmm. I can’t recreate this. It’ll require a bit more testing on my side. But this is very helpful. Thanks!

1 Like

Oh nozzz, those are the worst. Good luck!

1 Like

Ok, it seems to have something to do with the fact that you’re using outdated units (i.e. imperial).

It’ll take a bit more testing on my side. I’ll try to get a fix out tomorrow.

1 Like

BTW, thank you for testing, and giving me valuable feedback; even if I hate you for it.

6 Likes

For some reson, I groke that sentence and you are welcome.

2 Likes