Needed a holiday clock, so…

You know how it is - the boss decorated the mantle that normally holds our anniversary clock, so now I can’t see the time. GF to the rescue:

File from Creative Fabrica, cheap clock movement from da big box store.

41 Likes

That is so cute!

6 Likes

Painted the hands red with an oil-based Sharpie. :wink:

8 Likes

Like how the rim is!

10 Likes

That’s what sold the design to my wife. :wink:

9 Likes

Nice! I like the numbers too - that 4 made me think…
Real sharp, I can’t tell if the image is painted, engraved, or layered.

11 Likes

SD Engrave setting for Light Basswood Plywood. Nice deep char in the wood center ply. Should have sealed it, but it’s pretty much a stopgap.

Oh Jeez! Didn’t even notice the IIII. :rofl:

9 Likes

Neither did I until my brain did a little double-take. Then, I was pretty sure, but I still had to look it up to verify.

7 Likes

I think you may have made a mistake on the IIII if that is suppose to be 4 it should be IV. where did you verify it I would like to see it. However I really like the piece Great job.

3 Likes

Yes it’s wrong. As I stated above, got the file elsewhere and didn’t notice the error.

2 Likes

Not true, it’s no mistake. It is traditional to use IIII for 4 on clock faces. The ones that use IV have it wrong - Big Ben is a notable example.

16 Likes

Aha! Learn something new every day. Thanks!

7 Likes

I Googled the Roman numeral four. Digging a bit deeper;

Why is four IV and not IIII?

When Roman numerals were in use by the Roman Empire, the name of the Romans’ supreme deity, Jupiter, was spelled as IVPPITER in Latin. There was a feeling that using the start of Jupiter’s name on a clock dial, and it being upside down where it fell, would be disrespectful to the deity, so IIII was introduced instead.

11 Likes

Glad you whipped up a clock to get through! It looks great! I love that you painted the hands red. Perfect addition!

4 Likes

Yeah, those numbers are very cool. The whole design is quite elegant!

3 Likes

Wow I love it when I lean something new. O and I stand corrected. That is the first time I have seen that guess my education could have been better… I will try digging a little deeper next time I look for something. Thank you

4 Likes

Me too! I couldn’t wait to get out of school, I wasn’t smart enough to realize you never get out of school. When you really think about it, why would you want to stop learning? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Very Cool. Now you just need to make interchangeable faces for it. Seasons, birthday, different scenes…

5 Likes

That’s easy-the movement mounts through a 1/4” hole and fastens with a thin nut. :wink:

4 Likes

That would be a nice seasonal touch. :+1:

2 Likes