Nefertiti Puzzle/flash cards/ stencil

Here is the lady to whom my business name was inspired. The beautiful

Nefertiti…. her name simply means the beautiful one has come. I just love her!

This is 1/8 mirror acrylic, wood grain acrylic and marble acrylic.

Full name:
Neferneferuaten Nefertiti:
Beautiful are the beauties of the sun, the beautiful one has come.

Neferene on Etsy

33 Likes

Wow! These are really stunning, I love the gold. I also love that you have so much passion for Nefertiti. And I learnt something as well, thanks for sharing her first name!

5 Likes

Aww thanks so much!! Her story is so amazing. If you ever get a chance to study her…wow!
What a life and we still only know a little.

Brief history:
The first part of her name is a nick name given to her by her husband Ahkenaten… Beautiful are the beauties of Aten the sun god. He wrote ballets and poems to her. He truly adored her. Made her his equal as seen in the reliefs where they are often the drawn the same height or similar heights. If you see drawings with pot bellies, it’s probably them. He wanted to depict how they really looked. He was known as the rebel King. This was the 18th century. He then moved the capital city out into the middle of the dessert and denounced all other Gods except for the sun God Aten. Officials were furious, but since he was pharaoh and “an embodiment of God” as they were seen, they had to listen to him. He was also doing this in the mist of economic semi collapse and not really paying much attention to the economy, but more on uplifting himself and Nefertiti in the image of the Sun God. This can be interpreted many ways. He was assumed to be assassinated. After he “mysteriously died” his wife took the thrown for 2 years according to some scholars and was pharaoh in her own right. She then disappeared in the records and King Tut, the 8 year old boy king was put onto the thrown ( Nefertiti and Akhenaten had 6 daughters. Ahkenaten had Tut by a “lesser” wife). Tut married his half sister Ankhesenaum ( Nefertiti’s daughter). Tut then mysteriously died. His grandfather/ head "trysadviser/ Nefertiti’s dad took the thrown. Then when he died, the general of the army took the the thrown…fast forward 100 years later and the Great King Rameses of the 19th dynasty is cleaning up the country…the many gods have been reinstalled and the killer part is that the 18th dynasty of Tut, Nefertiti and Ahkenaten was covered up. They tried to hide the 18th dynasty from history because of the rebel Ahkenaten had tried to worship only one God. The 18th dynasty was not recorded in the valley of the kings…or anywhere else. Then a little over 100 years ago a bust of Nefertiti was excavated, a gardener found a stone with their story on it, bricks that had been turned backwards and reused in temples began to fall and revel their story…and just like that the forgotten 18th dynasty is now the most famous of them all.

Yeah…I love Nefertiti. Can’t believe there are not major movies about her. Her story is just as good as Cleopatra’s.

11 Likes

This is truly fascinating, thanks for sharing, I will definitely do some reading about it, it’s incredible that we know all of this detail.

3 Likes

I remember seeing her bust when the King Tut exhibit came to NYC about 10-11 years ago. They had so many artifacts. At the time they said it was the last stop before it was all returned to Egypt. I took my whole family.

I took my kids to a King Tut exhibit here in LA a couple years ago. They had significantly less artifacts, mostly small pottery, but I had my kids read every single display description with me.

From what I remember from the first exhibit, and correct me if I’m wrong, but the one God rule of his father was so unpopular that when the boy king took the throne they set about reversing it during his reign.

I love ancient history in general, mostly mythology though.

The first time I went to the exhibit, they had a full-sized unwrapped “mummy.” It was so realistic and in glass that it never occurred to me that the real boy king never left Egypt :rofl::rofl: the elongated skull really threw me. I had my face pressed up to the glass staring at every piece of what I thought was an actual skeleton :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

You are SO CORRECT! The “One God” idea that Ahkenaten had was thought of as being ridiculous at the time and they quickly went back to worshiping many Gods. It was something that the ancient officials wanted forgotten. Then when they put Tut on the thrown, this is why they called him the “puppet king” and they most likely killed him too. The craziest thing is that his tomb was rushed to get completed. There were paint drippings from the artists rushing. There were also figurines of Tut with breasts and a slightly protruding belly. Some think that the tomb was really meant for Nefertiti. It’s just speculation. The take away is that he was not an important king, so much so that history literally forgot him. This is why his tomb wasn’t robbed. They’d forgotten about him.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s near and dear to my heart, but the facts are kind of hilarious as to why his tomb was intact. Just imagine how grand the tombs of the important pharaohs had looked. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I spent three days in Seattle at the King Tut exhibit in 1978. Stunning to see the huge solid gold sarcophagus mask which turned out to be it’s last time shown outside of Egypt. They decided it was too risky sending it out again, so I was among a privileged few.

4 Likes

They had some part of someone’s sarcophagus there in nyc, but it seemed like a mix of a few different pharaoh artifacts. So i don’t remember whose it actually was. Besides the bust and the not real mummy, I remember his childhood chair the most. It was so small. There was just so much in one spot, and the crowds were so huge that I couldn’t spend more than a minute looking at everything.

The exhibit in LA was so much smaller, but empty, I could spend as much time as i wanted to see everything they had.

3 Likes

Yes. They have a traveling replica museum show that goes around to different states. I just went to one. It was nice to see, but I didn’t realize it was fake until I got there. I was skeptical about it being real in the first place, but it was nice to see full scale stuff even if it was fake. The fake mask was a joke though. It gave the fakeness of everything away. It was so fake that I refused to take a pic of it. Just a bad resin job. Everything else was fantastic. Even the sarcophagus was amazing.

4 Likes

The chair I remember seeing wasn’t gold. At least I don’t remember it being gold. It was wood. The first exhibit didn’t allow any photos. The second time around I was allowed to take photos, but it wasn’t the same stuff.

I wonder if there was a chair in the second one, I need to check my photos.

2 Likes

I just realized I took my kids on so many trips that I have thousands of pictures all jumbled together I have to sort through. But I found some of the ones I took in LA. This is the chair I saw in LA, but I feel like the one in NY was a red wood…but honestly…it was so long ago that my memory probably painted it a different color.

I added a couple of other pictures that I thought you might remember or find interesting. The small artifacts weren’t being passed off as replicas, the replicas were marked as such. But I forgot to take pictures of the tags, so I don’t remember what was what. But I thought the cup was interesting, maybe you can read it?

7 Likes

i love it. Thanks!!

2 Likes

When I was 11 (50+ years ago!) , I made my last trip to Baltimore (where I was born) to visit relatives there. I remember going to the Museum of Natural History in DC, and was in love with the Egyptian exhibit they had. I have no idea if the items were real or fake, but it was fascinating. I do remember they had several mummies, and lots of artifacts. It made me want to take archeology in high school, but because not enough kids signed up for it, the class was canceled. Thanks for the history lesson @neferene1!

2 Likes

Wow. My high-school never even had anything remotely close to offering archeology…I feel like they had 100 different team sports PE classes though. :unamused:

5 Likes

Now that you mentioned it, I remember that sweet thing, too. 1978 was a long time ago now…memories are always there, but faded.

2 Likes

When I moved back to the UK from Africa in the mid-80’s, I would often take the train down to London - just a couple of hours, and the tube made it so easy to get around.

I will always remember the Egyptian exhibits. I’d seen stuff like that in books but to see it in-person was mind blowing.

6 Likes

Of course. Scholastically oriented students never amount to anything, but if you provide a good sports environment the kids can grow up and become fabulously wealthy. Happens all the time, don’cha know? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I think my head had its own gravity. I lost way too many brain cells being a ball magnet. Only time it had any benefits was when I played soccer… broke my glasses alot… none of it made me fabulously wealthy… much less so… lots of glasses to tape back up

3 Likes

My high school didn’t either. I was sitting in the library for a class and noticed a book with King Tut’s mask on it. I was about 14 years old. I’d never seen anything like it before. I checked it out at the end of the class and kept checking it out over and over until the librarian told me that I couldn’t check it out anymore. I then visited it often in the library. I knew exactly where it was. When I got to college, I did the same, but there were more books to choose from. This was in 1991. I soon came upon my own books and laminated the pics and put them all over my dorm walls. That was the beginning of my modest Egyptian art collection.

So when I go to exhibits, it’s funny that I have lots of the replicas in my home already. Lol!

3 Likes

Perhaps every nation on earth these days could stop for six months and study Egyptian history and learn a few things from it. The beauty of the art and architecture and literature is amazing, but it just represents the social structure that made it possible. I can’t say I know that much or understand it, but boy, did they have a common purpose. Ancient Egypt will ever be somethings special in my mental framework. And brava for you in keeping it relevant.

4 Likes