New 3D printing method, pretty cool! 😮

:open_mouth: Check it out! :open_mouth:

15 Likes

That’s pretty interesting.

3 Likes

So cool!! But I think it resembles a Bacta Tank more than a replicator :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Innovation FTW!

2 Likes

Oooh! Might be looking at my next toy! (Bet that won’t cost much.) :smile:

5 Likes

When they did the TEDTalk presenting the future Carbon3D, I thought it would be a prosumer but affordable printer, because other than the new “no peeling” method it was a regular DLP printer. Then I got depressed when they announced the price… :sob::sob::sob::sob:

Carbon3D TED Talk

3 Likes

There are many versions of that technology, all merging together. It’s exciting to watch. I’ve even seen homemade versions with an old home projector and a rotating tank that did pretty good.

2 Likes

Very interesting, sls but with a major sw update. I’d love to see FDM get a similar treatment despensing with conventional slicing.

1 Like

The software to do this must be something fierce. The inverse of a CT scan.

2 Likes

Thats pretty cool.

2 Likes

I don’t see this as that hard of a software problem from what a I read.

At least not all that different than a typical slicer. Instead of a moving plane up or down along the Z(height) axis you have and a or b axis that the object rotates the plane through. There is probably a better algorithm than convert to polar coordinates and create your slices based on fixed values of theta.

I’m not trying to diminish their creation. I see all the time it seems people that just see things a little different and everyone misses it till pointed out and then it seems obvious.

I compare this to a 4 or 5 axis CNC or a CNC lathe doing a circle vs a traditional cartesian 3 axis.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you are suffering from Kruger/Dunning right now. (That is nothing to be embarrassed about, it happens to all of us)
Even the algorithms to convert a body to 4 or 5 axes are moderately complex, the G-code is simple enough but the process that has to happen to get that G-code can take a while on a PC if you don’t have a good gamer or workstation video card installed.
This would be several orders of magnitude more complex because we are no longer just worried about mapping the surface but the whole body. Like previously stated, a CT or MRI but in reverse to create a series of images that will sync with the B axis.

If you are good with maths, or even if you are not, take a look at this and then think about reversing the process.

2 Likes

well my head is swimming now. wow!

1 Like

Your welcome. :rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.