New art piece of Woody from Toy Story

This was made as a gift but it’s part of a style of art I’m doing. Made out of two pieces of 1/4” hard maple and custom color treated the background.

41 Likes

Woody is well done - but that sunset shading behind him is amazeballs!

11 Likes

I agree, that coloring is fantastic! The composition rocks too. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Thanks! I mostly make custom guitar/bass parts but been doing art pieces for a long time. The coloring of the background is all wood dyes.

3 Likes

I have a beautiful set of powdered wood dyes…they are top notch! I? Not so much! I’ve got a project on hold because I need to mix colours and it’s been (mumble) years since I’ve done that with anything other than acrylic paints which are really forgiving :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yes it’s definitely an art of itself to get wood dyes to work correctly. Use alcohol or acetone to blend. Save yourself a big headache.

Here is another example of blending

Which these became these…

10 Likes

That blending is amazing! I have to try that. Any pointers?

2 Likes

Your custom color technique is exceptional. You have inspired some in the forum and wowed the rest of us.

4 Likes

That is absolutely stunning!

2 Likes

Thanks! Yea what I mentioned above is to use alcohol or acetone for blending. It doesn’t take much dye to go a long way. If you use darker concentrated areas where you know the color will be it’s darkest then use the alcohol to pull away from the concentrated dye area, you’ll get a nice gradient. You can experiment with different ways from spraying alcohol directly on the piece to putting some on a cloth rag. Just takes some experimentation. That’s really all I did was experiment till I got the result I wanted.

8 Likes

The backdrop makes it just beautiful! Well done!

1 Like

Thank you! It was a blast to make!

1 Like

That is slick!

1 Like

Sounds like time for a video tutorial!

2 Likes

love it

1 Like

Fantastico! Love the contrast between the rich shaded background and the starker foreground image.

2 Likes