New Chinese laser

If someone wants to pronounce a word differently that’s fine by me. It just seems to me that the word ‘correct’ is too strong here. Um, that means I’ll go back and edit ‘correct’ out of my response.

2 Likes

Yes it does seem that the pronunciation is defined as lazer in the dictionary so I guess that is the correct. Good that I don’t have to change the way I say it myself. Thanks for clearing that up.

2 Likes

OED:

laser |ˈleɪzə|
noun
a device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light (or other electromagnetic radiation) by stimulated emission of photons from excited atoms or molecules. Lasers are used in drilling and cutting, alignment and guidance, and in surgery; the optical properties are exploited in holography, reading barcodes, and in recording and playing compact discs.
verb [withobject]
treat or remove (something) using a laser, especially as part of a surgical procedure: she had her eyes lasered so she could ditch her glasses | he has had tattoos lasered off his chest.
ORIGIN
1960s: acronym from light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, on the pattern of maser.

4 Likes

I totally missed those as well. :grinning: Thanks for finding and sharing these @marmak3261

1 Like