New CNC

I know what you’re thinking — you didn’t make that on your Glowforge! You’re right, but I was able to make two pieces that weren’t in the box, saving me a week’s worth of waiting for the missing parts to arrive. :sunglasses:

Two spacers not visible when completed are now laser-cut 5mm acrylic.

30 Likes

I have a 1000mm x-carve. I have not used it since getting the GF, and have offered to donate it to two different not-for-profit organizations.

12 Likes

Nice! I’m anxious to see what you make with it. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I started out thinking I’d get something on that scale, but simply don’t have the space for a meter-class CNC. Finally decided on the “small” Shapeoko 4. Work area is 17.5” x 17.5” x 4”. Oh, and it has a pass through capability for infinite length stock.

Took 8 hours to assemble. Would have only been 6, but the threads in the aluminum extrusions required chasing 75% of the time. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::confounded::exploding_head: Some other challenges, but it fired up the first try — no reworking of wiring required.

10 Likes

I rarely make a profit but I guess that is not what you mean. :grinning:

8 Likes

That’s sweet! I’ve been looking at the Carvera as my final smart tool as having a fourth axis really ups what you can do.

9 Likes

Congrats! Have fun with it!

5 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking what did that run you? I was thinking about getting one a few years ago and got the laser instead, now I can see the benefit of both

4 Likes

No problem - I bought straight from Carbide 3D and it was $2,200 including taxes (shipping was free).

3 Likes

tried to send you a message. won’t go through

1 Like