New competition Boss laser

Although this isn’t a big deal for many people, the weight would be a deal-breaker for me. No way I’m going to be moving that around for demos.

It is on wheels/stand but yeah I would not want to move something either. But doesn’t the Glowforge require two people to move as well. I guess from the look the Glowforge it would fit into a car better.
-D

The GF is an uncomfortable one-person carry. Two people no trouble. The Boss, according the the specs, is somewhere north of 300 pounds.

I guess there are people who could carry that up and down stairs without any trouble.

1 Like

I checked it again, I was doing the check based on current retail not the discount which is no longer available. The items i listed are 5730, i tried to keep it similar but it not exact. I went by the check boxes on the website and they are as I stated above.

its got a 60 watt laser, but the included is 50. I upped the power to get it closer in price after adding some options which I stated above it comes in around 5730.
if you pick every option at the highest level then it more expensive but you get a lot more. I checked Boss laser is getting some good reviews, but they suffered from earlier issues in there business.

Congratulations 47 years is outstanding especially now days.
I understand your position regarding the purchase… its done move on so to speak. What I like is comparing whats available with the promise of what were suppose to get. But you can’t tell me if someone came out today with a laser that does everything a Glowforge does and they can ship it now you wouldn’t think about it. The promise of the ease of use is what keeps me waiting.

If I had a nickel for every “what if”

:sunglasses:

1 Like

This coming from a founder engaged in bringing his own offering to market, as opposed to a competitor offering a discount for anyone cancelling their order for a glowforge - which would you rather deal with?

I remember when we all got upset over the announcement of having to send our machines back for a tube replacement, and the company response “I hear you loud and clear” then changed that policy based on our feedback.

We all know @smcgathyfay, the Laser Lady. So generous with her time in sharing her knowledge and experience. When she had to cancel her order, company policy required removal of her posting privileges. The community rallied for her inclusion, and again the company responded to our wishes.
Having the ear of the CEO who is so active and responsive in the community built around his product has a high value to me.

After all the delay, the decision was made to ship in the current state of readiness, when there are still aspects yet to be fulfilled. The historical performance of glowforge leaves no doubt in my mind that everything that can be done will be.

Personally I’m happy right here, for a number of reasons. Number one is a solid product that holds the promise of getting better after it has been delivered to me. Rah-Rah :tada:

18 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. Not once did I think, in the Star Wars fashion, I have a bad feeling about this. :smiley:

6 Likes
2 Likes