New concept? Making wood buckles. Source ideas?

I carry a few pieces around so I have some examples and get feedback, so talking to a man favoring the western look I came up with the idea that the thick large walnut piece could make a western style buckle, with smaller pieces being useful as conchas or bolo tie designs. There are some cheesy bolo parts out there seen often on the back of scorpions cast in plastic types, and I was thinking of many ways that brazing rod could be bent to floating rectangles and crimped into side-facing holes or a hook point in with CA glue but I would be interested in other folks Ideas on this.

3 Likes

Tandy leather carries tons of belt buckle findings for leather. I’m sure an enterprising person could adapt them to wood.

3 Likes

If only we knew an enterprising person…

:wink:

2 Likes

That was kinda what I was hinting at…

2 Likes

I looked at Tandy and was kind of disappointed , checked out Rio Grande and they have interesting bolo clips but nothing for belts (realized that If I do bolos I will need some sort of tips as well) I remember somewhere someone was doing plasma cutting like Shapeways where you could order simple stainless cuts which would be good with a decent price but not found what I want yet;

I did however experiment with a piece of thick maple:

3 Likes

Oooh! Nice! :grinning:

1 Like

I have no idea what the prices/minimum quantities are but I follow an outfit on Instagram, called Lasernut, that does laser-cut and press-bent steel items.

1 Like

How about using belt buckle blanks? Seems gluing into those would have less likelihood of failure than trying to attach hardware directly to the wood…

It would be possible to treat the wood like a turquoise or agate and set it, As indeed a silversmith might do or for that matter mold and cast them as I have done when I was working in silver.

This that I just did would make an excellent sand casting:

However, if the point of the piece is what is going on with the wood and it is the Glowfotge I have and not the jewelry setup then something fastened to the back is what is needed. The Lion above is 6mm at the corners and 9mm at the tip of the nose so there is some meat to hook into. And that is the thinnest of the designs so far

3 Likes