New Doorbell Cover... Finally

Yeah, I definitely have a problem. :wink:

4 Likes

Hmmm… No light switches nearby, but I should probably do SOMETHING fancy for the covers in the hallway…

2 Likes

I just returned from a manufacturing facility that uses molds to make products, the first step in the manufacturing process when making stuff out of plastic or fiberglass.

The company showed me a mold that cost $80,000 to make, a huge investment before even selling a single product.

Door bell cover molds probably don’t require an $80,000 investment, but that is just part of the process that needs to happen whenever a design is changed.

Now I am curious how much a door bell cover mold costs! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In the old days that was so, Very long technical cutting with a mill to get a good solid metal injection mold and if you needed a hundred of them for necessary production capacity the last one took as long as the first, now the techniques and technology are changing so fast the older tech is hardly done before the new one can do it better and faster.

2 Likes

I am, too, but this only makes it worse. Don’t spend $80k on an ugly design! I mean, it’s generic, which is good, but this house was build in the 80’s and the cover has a distinctly 60’s vibe. I did look again on Home Depot and it seems like they have a few more modern designs, so I guess that’s something.

2 Likes

My doorbell (from Ring). Do you think it needs a custom cover—or just some paint? :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Mid Century Modern house styles are a hot commodity on the real estate market now, at lease where I live. Leave that style of cover in your house and it will sell for 25% more!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, along with the sherbet (sherbert) orange and lime green walls in the kitchen and upstairs hallway. We do have plenty of dark wood and brass fixtures as well… The decor in this house is basically how we could afford it. :wink:

5 Likes

Duh. You have a laser. Custom cover.

4 Likes

Is early makerspace a Style?

5 Likes

Way to make end your 15-year journey with a bang!

6 Likes

If it’s not, let’s make it one…

2 Likes

Some might call it eclectic… A bit of everything everywhere so you could not swing Schrodinger’s cat with out hitting something Glowforge related, which is a good reason we do not have a cat.

4 Likes

Ooooo…want to do this!

3 Likes

Please share pics if you do!

1 Like

Beautiful design! Well done!

2 Likes

Great project!

2 Likes

This is something all manufactureres should strive for.

2 Likes