New Doorbell Cover... Finally

Over the past 15 years and 2 houses, I’ve tried to find a decent-looking doorbell. They all look like they were designed in the '60’s. Yesterday, as I was glaring at our doorbell, I realized that I had everything I needed to make my own. So I did. Right now it’s the color we’re about to paint the hallway, but I may eventually cut it out of hardwood (it’s just baltic birch). I just wanted something quick and easy. It took me more time to find a pattern I liked than it did to design, cut, and paint it.

84 Likes

Getting rid of that ugly piece of plastic I had been looking at for 18 years was one of the first 3D projects I did with the PRU.
I like yours better!

8 Likes

Thank you! WHY are they so ugly to begin with??

4 Likes

Builder grade. Functional but fugly.

9 Likes

Highly approve the new cover! :sunglasses::+1::+1:

6 Likes

Nice work👍

4 Likes

They’re all ugly, though. It’s crazy they still manufacture things that look this bad. And the designs haven’t changed in 15 years (probably a good 30 before that).

6 Likes

One of the things I like about the GF is how easy it is to fix up the mundane things around the house so they look nice, new, arty or just generally better.

My goodness there is some amazing creative works being shown on the forums, but there’s nothing like cleaning up some mundane ugliness that you see everyday.

6 Likes

I completely agree. I am always wowed by the creative and beautiful things people make, but there’s also something really empowering about just being able to create solutions to every day problems.

5 Likes

Love the pattern.
In Medieval Japan it was required that every object built for function also have artistic creativity in the design. As a concept I really think we can learn a lot for what they did.

11 Likes

Nice Cover! I have my Grandparents door bell, it’s two tubular bells and a striker in a coil field with a spring. But a new cover would be a nice addition.

7 Likes

Looks good, but isn’t that really a doorbell cover cover—or is it a really just a doorbell cover? :sunglasses:

5 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:
It replaces the ugly doorbell cover entirely! It looks bigger in the picture, but it’s basically the same size. Snaps right over the doorbell somehow. That was a bit of magic I hadn’t anticipated.

6 Likes

Totally agree. I’m a big fan of the Japanese aesthetic. In fact, I was trying to find a pattern that spoke to that more clearly, but after searching for quite some time I finally decided that my “quick” project was taking too long! Maybe next time…

6 Likes

Awesome! I need to do this too! Thanks for the idea.

Yours looks wonderful!!!

5 Likes

Very classy! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Thank you. It was a simple and satisfying project.

3 Likes

It looks fantastic! You are inspiring me to do the same. Now don’t forget to make matching lightswitch covers…

5 Likes

Really nice improvement.

5 Likes

I do this all the time! Glad it’s not just me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes