New FB post project: Jonathan's hat band

Here is this week’s project post:

You know how some people have a thing that you can’t picture them without?

Maybe it’s a pair of distinctive glasses, some signature lipstick, or memorable shoes. For Jonathan, a software engineer at Glowforge, it is without a doubt his classic fedora (NOTE: Facebook has since corrected me - it’s actually a Trilby hat, whoops!). I’m certain that Jonathan was wearing the hat the first time I met him, and more often than not, it’s either on his head or on his desktop hand-stand. And a few months ago, it got a major (laser-made) upgrade.

The snazzy new hat band was printed out of super thin hardwood veneer, and the design reminds me of antlers - maybe a tribute to Jonathan’s home state of Idaho or his love of the outdoors. In any case, it turns it from a hat that you couldn’t pick out from a lost & found to something I’d swear came from a high-end millinery.

Do you have something you can upgrade with a Glowforge?

57 Likes

Whoa! :open_mouth:

(I’m the last person to like anything fashion related…but I like that!)

10 Likes

Yet another reason for me to stock up on some veneer. Love that look, and classic hats are cool (like bow ties )

9 Likes

Love this! Took me a second to figure out what it was. Haha!!

5 Likes

Very nice! What you can’t do with wood…:slight_smile: - Rich

4 Likes

Trivium: Trilby is narrow brim, Fedora wide. Both named after London stage plays where they were first worn and popularized.

18 Likes

More trivia–both were originally women’s hats, and named after women: Princess Fédora, of Sardou’s play, Fédora, and Trilby O’Ferrall of du Maurier’s novel, Trilby.

15 Likes