New leather from Glowforge

In April, Glowforge reached out to me and asked —-if I would like to participate with their new leather launch. I was absolutely humbled and gladly accepted the challenge.

I designed a total of 17 leather projects—- from super easy to a little advanced.

Their new Espresso Brown and Ebony Black leather is beyond gorgeous. Both of the sides of the leather can be used. This is a high end leather and you will enjoy making something from it.

I have a little tip. There are two thicknesses— medium and thick. Use the thick settings for the medium.

Last Fall @eflyguy and I worked together with the Halloween masks.

I am here posting because @eflyguy (Andrew) and @CMadok (Christy) patiently taught me how to design SVGs. Not only are they great teachers they are also very much loved friends.

46 Likes

That purse is gorgeous!

6 Likes

Wow, your projects are stunning! The masks are very cute, and I particularly like the handbag.

7 Likes

Some very nice work!

5 Likes

the leather you got was smooth and finished on both sides? the samples i got to test last week are only finished on one side (the masked side). it’s dyed all the way through, but the back, unmasked side is a rough finish, not smooth.

8 Likes

What do you use for the thick, then?

6 Likes

Everything is great but especially love the bags :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome opportunity! Thanks for sharing. Love the sunglasses case :+1:

4 Likes

Her’s also looks like suede on one side too from the photos, but i guess since you don’t have to dye it, both sides are usable based on the texture you want.

7 Likes

Pre-dyed. Nice! Noce designs!

4 Likes

this is insane work, great job

1 Like

right, i just wanted to make sure it was clear how the leather is finished. it’s dyed through, but smooth on one side. if we say it’s finished on both sides, to me at least, that implies that both sides are smooth.

9 Likes

Wonderful designs!!! Great writeup.

4 Likes

Yep, loving the bag! :smile:

3 Likes

excellent work
tempts me to try more leather projects.

2 Likes

@ellencadwell @cynd11 @ptodd @shop @mark14 @djfb @usnerdoc @MakerMatthew @GREEZYBEAR @awebs76

Thank you so very much for the kind words! I miss everyone and think of you all very often!!

The leather I received was perfection. If anybody received the new leather and the back was not smooth I would ask for a refund. Tell support you want Jimmy Wayne Westie’s leather.

I would use the thick settings for both the medium and the thick. When I used the medium settings I had to pull away the leather pieces away and this caused fuzzies along the cut edge. When you use the thick settings —the cut pieces of leather just fall out of the main piece.

Leather edge fuzzies can easily be removed by burning them with an arc lighter. These lighters are available online and they are very inexpensive. I would purchase a straight one and a lighter that has the ability to curve.

14 Likes

Just not this arc lighter:

Because it could melt everyone.

8 Likes

If :proofgrade: it should just work. Think they’d need to tweak the settings if they are not at their best. Suppose it could also be age of the machine and tube strength too.

5 Likes

I had just cleaned my laser and tried the medium thickness leather and it cut fine. The cuts were “barely” connected to the material, but I thought was okay since it did not fly away and get into the path of the laser. I used an emery board to sand off the fuzz.

4 Likes

Such nice work, than you for sharing!! Those bags are so nice!!

1 Like