New Lidded box

Thinking of a different way to do a box I tried a few ideas I have not done before. The top is thick maple and the bottom PG Cherry.

I can’t say I was impressed with the “pre-finished” idea as of course the engraved area is not finished, and the finish itself is a bit rough needing a 2000 grit sanding to smooth it up. The color too is fairly bland compared to other cherry wood I have used though I suppose there is a lot of variation there. There is a need for such but one cannot tell easily with the masking on,

30 Likes

I like that flower…is that one of your signature mandalas?

2 Likes

From the snowflake collection that I use for avatars. The Avatar thingy just pulls out the center where there is often much of interest that it leaves off. There is also a hickup that left bare wood where it was supposed to engrave and a cut where it was not. I cannot imagine the cause and it has not repeated. A bump of some sort might do one but not the other

Nice pattern on the side of the lid!

2 Likes

That is AWESOME! I love it!

2 Likes

That pattern was developed from the veins of leaves.

1 Like

Very nice work. I like the scallop sides and the detailing on the sides of the top. I gotta wonder how long the the engraving took for the top.

2 Likes

Love the patterns and shape of the lid. That is a really nice piece!

3 Likes

I like the lower part of the box!

1 Like

Great looking box.

1 Like