New life for scrap

Playing around with some leftover material and made this little sign for church. The background is white acrylic and the embedded wood is some scrap oak plywood. I think I will try some others with colored acrylic.

26 Likes

Your fit looks really great. I wouldn’t have thought of white acrylic, but it looks good.

2 Likes

What design software are you using?

1 Like

Thank you. I’m sure it has been done before, but for me it was trying to think outside the box. I’m also experimenting with sublimation on acrylic for some future ideas and projects

9 Likes

CorelDraw and Corel PhotoPaint

1 Like

The method for kerf compensation while preparing a design for an inlay that I have adopted from @mpipes recommendation is to set the stroke for the width of the beam (I start testing with .008), convert that to a path, which in Inkscape places a vector to each side of the stroke.
The inner line of the two is the path to cut a hole to place the inlay and the outer line is the cutout for the inlay.
I usually have to hammer it in - Press-fit.
Acrylic is a little touchier, not as forgiving as wood.

Leftover material FTW! I have boxes of it.

6 Likes

What are you using for the color sublimation? That Image is amazing. I would so much love to do that to some 3D relief carved material! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you. It’s a picture of my dog Napoleon, a Neapolitan Mastiff. I have an Epson 7620 and an Epson 7710 with InkOwl sublimation ink, a 15x15 5 in 1 heat press.

You have a soup hound. A soup hound is a very old term describing a big lovable canine you want to hug.

1 Like

I have several, one in my lap as I type. She’s small though, only 150 lbs.

1 Like

Freaking awesome use of scrap. :heart:

Only??? LoL
My black lab is 116 lbs and is by no means a lap dog. But he gets along with the kittens.

2 Likes

6 Likes

That would make him a Lab Dog?

1 Like

Those are some Big dogs.

3 Likes