NEW Tested Video

Hi,

i just thought I would share with you that there is a new tested video:

I really love seeing this machine in action and I’m sucking up every new information about it :smiley:

Greetings from germany

6 Likes

That is so freaking cool. I love how responsive Glowforge has been. Even with how insanely busy they have to be actually making these things, they still take the time to give us what we clamor for. We’ve now got several clear examples of the workflow, we’re seeing real things being made on actual Glowforge machines out of different materials, we’re hearing their reasoning for the dimensions, the shipping order, and even why they call it a 3D laser printer. This is all just phenomenal all the way around.

2 Likes

Seem’s like someone is as excited as I am :smile:

2 Likes

If I’ve watched it like half a dozen times now, does that indicate that I have a problem, or a solution?

1 Like

My name is Ben and I have am addiction to lasers. This video was exceptional. I can’t imagine that the day has come that I check this forum more times a day than I ever checked Facebook. I think i have found my tribe. I talk about the Glow forge as if she is in the flesh. Can’t get enough.

3 Likes

I think my wife is looking forward to it shipping be an even more than I am so I will shut up about it and be able to just start using it. It’s going to be a long wait for both of us!

2 Likes

Nice review and good information from @dan in there. Thanks for sharing.

One question that I’ve been looking for and have only seen vague mentions of, is how will we define in Illustrator (for example) the different parameters for lines within the same drawing? For example, I’ll have a design where I need to cut out the outside perimeter of a box, score fold lines within it, cut out some details and engrave some others. I’d like to do this all in one procedure and not have to keep sending pieces-parts over, cutting one type at a time with the inevitable registration issues. With some of the online services I’ve used, you set up your drawing to use particular line weights or colors, so a red line is cut, blue is low power score, purple is engrave, etc.

Does anyone know how that will work with the Glowforge? Thanks for any info.

I just watched the video while at work. My co-workers can’t figure out why I’m suddenly borderline giddy… between videos and Pinterest, Glowforge is going to cost me my job…

1 Like

I had asked the same question via email before I had discovered the discussion board, and Dan’s response was that it will in fact be able to use different colors for this differentiation - you can map the colors you used in the drawing to specific settings.

With SVG formats, you draw with various colors, then you include text somewhere on the drawing along the lines of:

=pass1:1000mm/min:90%Power:#ff00ff=

Where you are telling it travel speed and power settings for a specific color (by RGB code). Any lines which match that power will be loaded to run at the settings you selected. Often the interface for the cutter itself will allow you to change what the settings were, just using the SVG data as a starting point.

Hopefully with the “draw and cut” side of the software having the ability to choose individual sections of the bulk cut and treat them differently, we will have the same functionality available for us with files loaded in. That would mean you do not even need to remember to color each segment different to cut them different (though like with embedding your cut speed and power, it is convenient longterm to do so)