New (to me) t shirt printing method

Laser cutting would slot into this workflow quite nicely.

20 Likes

Interesting. I may have to give this a try!

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I had never heard of gel printing plates. I’m excited to get some and try this out.

7 Likes

Neat! Thanks for sharing! I’ve been playing with gel prints recently but just on paper. Will have to give shirts and other fabrics a try.

8 Likes

Interesting…another rabbit hole…

6 Likes

That’s cool. I love my gel plates. So fun to to play with, but I haven’t tried it on fabric yet, either.

4 Likes

Yeah those gel plates look cool.

4 Likes

You can make your own much more cheaply with gelatin and glycerine :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yeates Makes does a lot of cool gel plate stuff; I’ve seen quite a few of his videos but not the t-shirt printing ones.

7 Likes

Ooooooo! Even better!

5 Likes

Hmm a bit of googling later, that’s cool.

9 Likes

There’s a lot of recipes out there ranging from gelatin + water only to all sorts of additives like essential oils, antifungals, alcohol etc and accounting for different amounts of firmness.

I’d recommend anyone making their own to google just a bit wider and see what characteristics you want to go for before settling on a recipe. :slight_smile: (ex: I didn’t use this recipe with alcohol and microwave - combined several glycerine only recipe ideas together over a double boiler instead)

8 Likes

Huh you can use glossy magazines to transfer an image with gel plates. This is interesting.

6 Likes

Welcome to the rabbit hole :stuck_out_tongue: you can also use laser printer prints with lots of density. A lot of artists out there working with various transfer methods + paint, etc.

7 Likes

You got any examples of work you’ve done with gel plates?

5 Likes

Oh no, this may become a new rabbit hole for me. I watched various videos, marveled at the results and thought, “I would make such a mess; I’d have to buy paints; why in the world would I want a new-shiny-toy?”

Then I spent the afternoon with a friend who is quite the artist. I mentioned gel plates, and her eyes lit up! She’s made her own plates, and anytime I want to come make a painty mess with her is just fine.

I’m in trouble now… :kissing_cat:

7 Likes

Man I need to get a friend like that. I can’t wait to see what you make.

5 Likes

I’m afraid none that I can share at this time :shushing_face:

3 Likes

The dangerous part of this for me is that I have all of the ingredients to make gel plates on-hand.

5 Likes

The ingredients are calling to you… :notes:

5 Likes