New twist on spiral basket design

A while back i updated my spiral basket design to have 4 nested spirals vs the original single spiral version or the subsequent dual spiral version. The result was sturdier as each arm was shorter and flexed less.

In all cases the spirals were linked together at rim and center.

Today i had the notion to break apart the 4 spirals into individual arms, so that multiple materials could be used for interesting contrast.

First attempt and without the rim bits being glued but worthy of sharing.

55 Likes

This is beautiful! I love how the different colored materials swirl together. Looks great!

10 Likes

Mesmerizing!

10 Likes

Love the colors. Put it on one of those little tumbler turntables and it would look like those spiral tunnels when they show someone going through a time warp! :sweat_smile: I do like the idea of the added stability with four separate spirals.

14 Likes

13 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I flashed back to the same thing!

11 Likes

Wow that’s really pretty!

8 Likes

Thanks.

The colors are some weak (likely due to having been mixed a few years ago) alcohol ink based wood dye. The original colors were more vibrant but I like the mellow vibe these are putting out.

11 Likes

Exactly!! :rofl:

@mark14 - I like the subtle colors. It still allows the colors to pop, but at the same time looks natural.

8 Likes

Wow, Nice work! Do you use a plywood? Do you put any finish on the pieces?

5 Likes

For this prototype, I used Baltic Birch plywood (1/8th). I cut it all from one sheet then stained the red and green legs with alcohol based stain that was “weak tea” in terms of how much pigment was in the sauce. I like how that came out so I will probably do it again.

Once I get the bugs worked out (cutting version 2 in a few minutes) I will probably cut from proof grade thin. I will cut 2 or 3 of the same design from differing woods and then mix and match the arms and legs from each cut to make the multi colored result.

14 Likes

Nice! Definitely worth a try!!

6 Likes

One of many Irwin Allen shows.

4 Likes

This is beautiful!

3 Likes

A 2 tone version of the same which points out the big flaw in the design (outter ends of spirals are too weak and break off. Which led to rev 2 which is better but i see a rev 3 aoon.

15 Likes

Nice solution! Plus it gives it a decided end, rather than trailing off :slight_smile: I can’t decide if I like the two or tri-coloured one better, whichever one I’m looking at I like better :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Rev 3: 2 of the arms connect in center, change to leg to top interface and and top edge joins lock like a puzzle piece. Getting there

Rev 4 is on cutting now.

14 Likes

Lookin’ good!!

4 Likes

This is fabulous!!! Do you have a file to sell?

1 Like

Their shop, and website, are listed in their profile. If you click on the icon you’ll see it.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Carltonz

BTW @mark14, the link to your shop on your website on your spiral baskets page is broken

4 Likes