Next Level

I was challenged to take the wooden game controllers I made to the next level by making movable parts. I took it even further than that! I destroyed a brand new head lamp and reassembled parts of it for the LEDs and added a seamlessly flat power button for them to the bottom of the controller and added spring loaded buttons for working parts and redesigned a whole other style of controller for this one. If you want to see it in action here is a video of it working: https://youtu.be/m_ZAjuKGXdc

Here’s some photo stills of it:

35 Likes

If I’m ever stranded on a desert island, I want you, a Glowforge, and a supply of Proofgrade along, as I’m sure you’ll be able to make a working radio and maybe a rescue helicopter!

10 Likes

You’ll need the Internet too - cloud you know :wink::smirk:

5 Likes

Chuckle! Very clever. (All around!) :smile:

1 Like

And the bar goes up some more notches.

2 Likes

LMAO next challenge? lol jk

1 Like

He could just make an internet out of Proofgrade…

if he had access to the internet.

Oh. Nevermind.

4 Likes

And coconuts and bamboo, at least that’s what Gilligan & Co. used.

Great little object.

1 Like

Thank you

To add to this I ended up using duct tape and a toothpick to hold the LEDs in place for the power button to line up and for LEDs not to fall out lol

2 Likes

Very nice indeed ! I like that inner acrylic layer that lights up—cool!

1 Like

In the end, all that will be left are the cockroaches and duct tape. All praise duct tape!

3 Likes

now I need to make a sign for duct tape lol

2 Likes

Looks great!

Now you need to make a functioning controller. :wink:

Many years ago I made a mahogany joystick for the Apple ][ in shop class. Nowhere near the detail of yours but it was functional and fun.

1 Like

Yea, not sure how to pull that off but would be sweet

Pick up an old controller from someplace and then just take it apart and start swapping out the parts. You have done the hard part already. You just need to adjust your design a little to make room for the electronics in the middle.

You’ll also have to figure out a way to hold the button switches in place but that should just be a little trial and error the get right.

Damn, now I really want to dig through my bin-o-crap and find one of my old controllers.

Ok, this is a better approach. You might have to get a bigger PCB so you can get the buttons in the right place. But it would work perfect as the guts for your controller. Plus its wireless.

1 Like