No More Laser

So I was engraving and cutting a piece of acrylic and 3/4 of the way through the job the laser stopped. Everything else was fine, not a single error and the print head continued to move as if it was going to finish the job. The laser tube was not glowing and there was no light hitting the cutting surface.

I turned off the unit then turned it back on and was going to start a new job. I sent the print to the GF and it offered me the pulsating light, I hit the button and it started up, but again no laser.

Can someone offer me some advice?

Is it possible that the ribbon cable that attaches to the print head came loose or is not properly seated?

You might want to turn the printer off, then gently remove the print head following the instructions that Pip laid out below - check for bent or broken pins.

https://community.glowforge.com/t/i-think-the-fan-in-my-print-head-is-going-to-die/24010/28?u=jules

The ribbon cable is not the problem. I followed the steps outlined in the link, but still no go.

There is also a new problem…the pump for the cooling fluid sounds terrible. It is making an awful sound. My guess is that the no laser and pump sound are related.

Hmmmn…might want to just shut her down and wait to hear from support. Sorry wasn’t more help. :neutral_face:

A video containing the sound would probably be useful for Support.

1 Like

Also, if you can remember the time (roughly) when you did it, date, time zone and time would alow them to review the logs of your machine and see what has happened.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I’m sorry you ran into trouble.

Please run the following test to help us investigate further:

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on.

2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place the Proofgrade Draftboard in the center of the bed and cut (ignore the engrave and score portions) the Gift of Good measure using the default settings.

3. Take a video of the print that shows the printer head as well as the laser tube.

4. Allow the print to complete. When it does, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.
    If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print and send us the video you took.

Thank you in advance!

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.