No more upgrades. Price increases coming

I think one of those big retailers like Lowe’s might actually work well. I don’t know if that would potentially cannibalize their materials store though.

I feel the same way.

3 Likes

Yep, me too.
I just happened to be bucks-up when I bumped into Glowforge, and because of the intro price I could just reach it.
Any high quality laser has always been out of the question for me, and will soon be again. Only this window of affordability allowed me into the arena at all.
I feel so fortunate to have been able to allow myself this Indulgence. Every now and then I get lucky.

That is the root of my unbridled support and rabid enthusiasm for this project that many have felt was unjustified. It makes perfect sense in my world.

We may not be able to afford the 2.0 offering Rick, but judging from the expertise gathered here and our combined propensity to tinker, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some enhancements in the future of our machines - Probably to coincide with a tube replacement and deep cleaning.

@Drea, I felt the same thing, expecting the price to double based on what had been stated. What I feel right now is a deep gratitude to the company for lining up with the stars in my universe. Good timing. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

No, the air filter is still an option when upgrade and I chose not to include it.

1 Like

Had something similar happen to me when I upgraded. There are bugs in the upgrade purchase system when you try to upgrade to a Pro model without the Filter. They basically have to process that order by hand, so if you can’t place the order in the upgrade sheet, just send Support an email so they can make the adjustments later.

And it’s probably going to take some time. (As in…they probably won’t process it until your name comes up for the Golden email.) So expect that if you change your order, and don’t get too freaked out if you don’t hear from them immediately. They will eventually get it straightened out. :slightly_smiling_face:

I did the same. No air filter for my pro. I have a window handy at the current house and the new house.

What about the downgrading our order, I mean like canceling the air filter portion?

**edit, sorry I didn’t read all the way down

None planned.

1 Like

Not if they are also selling Proofgrade ™ :proofgrade: right next the Glowforge display.

5 Likes

Ooo, good point! Didn’t think of that.

1 Like

Indeed, we have to change our policy on that. We’ll send out email to everyone to be sure they know before the cutoff (@bailey is drafting something right now).

This actually isn’t a marketing issue, but a resourcing one - after changing ecommerce systems, the upgrade functionality was badly broken for the majority of customers. The team that was working to fix stopped so they could help with international shipping software instead. We’ve been backstopping with the CS team doing it manually, but they’re swamped right now, hiring as fast as they can without compromising quality, and they won’t be able to keep up with manual upgrade requests.

So the load of supporting upgrades going forward is just too much to bear without causing other problems, like support response times and international shipping. I’m sorry and I wish we could offer it.

No, shipping for Pro (includes air filter) is the same as Basic + Air. If you want to upgrade from basic to pro without air, there’s no extra shipping; you’ll have to email support. (Their queue will get worse before it gets better unfortunately).

Indeed.

Yes.

I won’t speak for what everyone else wants, but I want this a lot. Printing giant things is awesome, but really annoying without the supporting software.

Indeed. There will inevitably be discounts and sales and such, but as of right now we don’t know how much or when that will happen.

I really appreciate you saying that. We’ve tried really hard to make it a great value at $4k/$8k, so that anyone who pays less is just getting a steal. :slight_smile: I realize we sometimes fall short for some people, but it’s great to hear when we hit the mark.

Honestly I’m not even thinking about a Glowforge product with more/better features. I’m excited about spending the next few years building incredible features on top of the products you all are receiving today. This is pretty much my “dream machine” hardware already!

23 Likes

This is what I signed up for and am looking forward to!

11 Likes

Why is this in “everything else” and not announcements?

3 Likes

I had just explored Epilog and came away having tethered myself back to reality - Disbelief was my initial reaction to the price when I found a referral link to glowforge. :no_mouth: It has been worth every dime and every minute of this journey.

A chapter in your book, ‘The Benefits of an Early Bankruptcy’ helped me understand what you were up against.
You assembled an amazing team and built an amazing laser, and with it, I have made amazing things. Now that you are looking at the completion of the 30-day campaign, Congratulations on seeing this through. :muscle:

7 Likes

Most excellent! :grinning:

3 Likes

Jeez a team of people to fix a simple problem like that and they don’t have time?

Isn’t it simply 4 possible orders basic / pro, basic + air, pro + air? So there are only 12 possible upgrade / downgrade permutations. How could it take a single programmer, let alone a team more than a hour to write some code to do that?

I suspect the problem may be complicated by the use of third party e-commerce software, and trying to rig an upgrade path from how the old system handled that to how the new system does…using the tools inherent in that software. They probably don’t have direct access to the code.

3 Likes

Doesn’t look an any proper e-commerce software I have seen. Comes up with enter a number less that 0 or something when it runs out of stock and then allows the web client to override the limit and order something out of stock. Looks like completely home brewed stuff to me.

On September 5, @dan said “We switched from a preorder system to a much more sophisticated ecommerce system some months ago, and this is a deep, lingering bug from that switch. Specifically, from some of the folks who ordered on the old system and are trying to upgrade with the new one. It’s not easy to fix” He did not say they actually developed either of these platforms.

7 Likes

It will be in the next monthly announcement, which is coming up shortly. We’ll email folks too. (We try to batch up Announcement posts, so we often pre-post in this category and then announce in the monthly post)

2 Likes

So if we upgrade basic to pro now on intl,will this add delay because of being a pro AND intl? Just wondering if the different laser class will affect intl deliveries.