No more upgrades. Price increases coming

I’ve been making a lot of keychains/pins lately that are two-sided designs, as well as cutting out my own custom cards/holders for the pins; with the print time reaching up to anywhere between 2-4hours total, I had begun wondering if having a second forge would make my life easier. It was a maybe in a few months I’ll see where I am financially, but with this announcement, I too will not be christening a second glowforge anytime soon! Oh well, I’m grateful for the one I do have, and have loved at least 90% of my total time with it (excluding small hiccups and error messages) :smile:

I’m sad that the price is going up, but hopeful for the future of the company!

5 Likes

Very funny movie… Not to my wife’s tastes… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m really glad that this is your mindset! So much can be done with software and, as a former HW/SW guy (now mostly SW), I can say that I don’t miss material planning for HW transitions with old stock rundown and new phase in.

1 Like

When the price has changed in mid December, will we still be able to cancel the airfilter? Once we got our Glowforge and set it up we might notice, that we don’t Need the airfilter. Would it then be possible to cancel it?

3 Likes

It will probably be the same or slightly faster if you upgrade to Pro.

Note that the pro comes with the filter.

that is why I have been lobbying for a founder’s Second Forge Discount program!!!

8 Likes

I’ve never dealt with an e-commerce system, but I have been tangentially involved in a couple of ERP system changeovers and they have all been horrific. I don’t get why either, but they all seem to be. Several years ago a supplier went out of business and blamed their ERP switch. Last year our plastics vendor couldn’t fulfill our order for three months because of an ERP switch (it was for three new custom colors, they could fulfill anything defined in their system prior to the implementation start date.) I’ve seen it mentioned in trade rags. So if that is what dan means, it’s not easily comprehensible but it happens a lot.

4 Likes

I second this! Had I known what I know now, 2 years ago, I would have definitely ordered another one…then again, I barely had the money to buy this 2 years ago, so I’m just saying things to say them haha

Although, that would be crazy cool if we kept our founder’s status and were able to purchase future hardware at a discount!

9 Likes

Implementing ERP is dreadful and changing ERP is horrific. The only thing worse is changeovers that also have MRP systems tied into them when ERP and MRP are different vendors. I went through implementation and two changeovers (all 3 were full ERP/MRP) at my previous employer over an 8 year timeframe. They (the owners) tried to go the inexpensive route but then would not change the way the company ran so it could fit into the system. So they ended up buying tons of customization and programming to tailor the software to the company, and finally after $1M into one attempt, they jumped ship and went with a different option, only to follow the same cycle, multiple times. The resources it takes to do that puts a big hiccup on productivity when no additional help is brought in, or when the help that’s brought in thinks they can simply import/export spreadsheets from SQL databases without having to detail check everything.

Ugh.

3 Likes

I have led multi fuctional teams replacing in house developed MRP/ERP software with Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) and it is definitely a long process to do it right. You have to define every field in the current database and map to the new database. Compare every process to the new process, run multiple iterations of testing to validate your conversion logic and process plans. Then when you finally have functional user buy-in, you can deploy.

If you want to be successful, its a very detailed process that can’t be short cut. I was the functional owner/manager for 118 business systems in a local large aerospace company in Seattle. Loved the work and had a super great team.

2 Likes

So as per usual, always waiting till the end of things, upgraded from a basic to a pro. Heres to all the whoohoos and hoorays!! Couldn’t miss out on those pro features!!

11 Likes

Actually, no. I have a Pro coming without filter because I didn’t want to have to buy filters all the time.

I tried to upgrade to pro on Dec 1st and am having issues. I wrote to support, no response yet. When I logged on today, I no longer see an estimated shipping date for the basic… should I be worried? The price hike totally made me want to jump to to pro, guess I needed a little push.

I did the same thing but realized I used a unactivated credit and now my shipping day has vanished as well. Emailed them 3 days ago and haven’t heard back from them yet either. Worried I screwed up my shipping…all the saddness

Me too. I meant in the price list on the site.

1 Like

Have you heard back from them yet …sent my first email almost a week ago?

Yes, I sent a follow up reply email yesterday. I had received an auto generated reply that they would get back in 3 business days, so I replied to that just to check back. The person who replied reset something and said I should now be able to upgrade. Have not tried to yet, but no longer get that error message up across the top.

Thanks…still haven’t got a reply. Guess I’ll just keep trying.

I’m having some worry about my upgrade. Sent 4 messages to support starting 8 days ago. I used the wrong card to process my upgrade and now my shipping date has disappeared from my account page and I have no orders in my history . Im hopeing to hear from someone today. I would like to hash this out before I miss the deadline for upgrades…any suggestions. Thanks for looking into this