No Vent? No Problem!

That’s what I am using!

If you can keep it under 10’ (including two 90 degree bends) flex should be fine.
If it is longer, if there are many bends or If it is in a concealed space (like within a floor/ceiling cavity) I would recommend smooth metal duct.
Flexible duct is meant to be used in places where it can be seen/maintained, unless it is only moving air like for a bath fan or for an HVAC duct. If you can see it from the basement it should be OK.
In any case a smooth metal duct impedes air flow the least.

They say the :glowforge: can blow 10’ plus two 90 degree bends.
I calculate that to be a 20’ effective length.
You can calculate your effective length by measuring all straight pieces of smooth duct and adding equivalent lengths for each bend depending on how tight the radius of the bend is based on this post.
If the total is less than 20’ then you should be fine. If it is longer then consider adding a booster or better yet just spring for the filter.

1 Like

I wanted to say that @dan referenced something of about 10 foot being the distance that the GF :glowforge: fan could proper push the exhaust, but I cannot find that posting now.

Beyond that distance, additional fan assist might be necessary.

Update:

1 Like

He verified the 8ft of foil flex ducting plus 2 90 bends were factored into the effective work load of the exhaust. (I asked - that’s why I remember :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Obligitorily, your escutcheon will have to be the headpiece to the staff of Ra.

5 Likes

If it is a smooth metal duct with low sweep (wider radius) bends instead of a flex duct with tight corners you might get a few extra feet.

Agreed. The unfortunate side effect is the fan noise is made louder.

There are several threads about dampening the sound (by users’ experiences), but your mileage may vary.

1 Like

If you get one that is Energy Star rated it will also be quiet.
The current Energy Star rating for exhaust fans (including in-line exhaust fans) considers sound level as well as CFM/watt.

The fan noise from the Glowforge gets loader at the exhaust outlet with solid metal ducting.

2 Likes