Noise Level with Portable Air Filter

Hey guys,

Just bought my first GF, should be here in a couple of weeks. Had a couple questions before it gets here since I live in an apartment. After perusing the forums I saw many posts about the noise level, but most were from 2017 and before. Just wondering how it is with the portable air filter and any other info from people using it. I know replacing the filter has been talked about as well with it depending on what material used but would love some real world example of how long it lasted for you, how was the process of getting a new filter etc?

Excited but nervous on this investment!

It’s about the same as running a vacuum cleaner, maybe slightly less with the filter. (Fairly noisy in the same room.)

How long it lasts depends heavily on what you are cutting, but normal for plywoods and acrylic seems to be between 20-30 hours of actual heavy cutting time. (That can last from a few weeks to a few months, so the actual time the filter is sucking particles is the only sure way to measure it. You can extend that time with a more frequently changed pre-filter).

Materials like tile, stone and etching on anodized metal don’t put much load on the filter at all. Draftboard will fill it up much faster.

2 Likes

If you can vent, then vent. Better than a filter in almost every way.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the replies. I really know nothing about the venting side of things, with that noise level I don’t think I will be able to have in a room with a window, and even then would prob get people mad at me if I vent out window. Is it a strong enough push that I could connect it to the dryer vent and send it out that way?

Not without a booster fan if it doesn’t go straight outside. Eight foot run max with a maximum of two 90° angles.

2 Likes

You guys are awesome for all the replies! One more maybe dumb question. We have a laundry room that I may end up needing to transform into the place for engraving. We also have a water heater in there. Am I stupid for thinking that may be risky to have next to the GF?

I would add an assist fan so a negative pressure were maintained in the pathway or your clothes might not smell too good coming out of the dryer :nauseated_face: and your neighbors might be freaked out to see smoke coming out of it. My experience is that visible smoke even is rare unless you are making a very smoky wood. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The compact filter reduces the noise quite a bit compared to normal. You gain an option to disable some of the small, loud fans since you have a unit pulling the air out of the machine. The only downside to the air filter is cost. The cartridges basically cost 15 to 20 cents per minute of active use.

I wouldn’t recommend trying to exhaust through the dryer vent. Cutting wood makes a fair bit of smoke and leaves a sticky residue. At best you’d have a dryer vent that forever smells of what you like to cut, at worst you have potential fire hazards and problems with your apartment company.

1 Like

Only if it regularly springs a high pressure leak aimed right at the spot where you’ll place your glowforge. Or if it heats up the laundry room beyond about 76F.

If anything, the electric motors in the washer and dryer may interfere with your WiFi signal.

3 Likes

I switched out the hose that came with the :glowforge: to this hose from Amazon:
Hon&Guan Duct Silencer Noise Reducer Hose Silencer for Inline Duct Fan (4 inch) .
The noise level inside my tiny place dropped dramatically and the noise level outside is now almost non-existent. My only complaint is that it is only 4 feet long. I’m sure there are similar hoses that are longer.

2 Likes

I got the same one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075J7ZYT8?th=1) and yeah, noise outside my window is literally non-existent. I was shocked! Inside it’s definitely quieter, but still too loud to comfortably watch the TV in the same room

3 Likes

I just turn the captions on :slight_smile: Drives my husband batty.

1 Like

Like I do for those movies where the director decided enunciation is overrated in the performing arts.

3 Likes

Wow! This community is amazing! Thank you all for the answers and ideas! Did not expect so many answers so fast!

All great comments, and seems like I should definitely attempt to just vent out the window. If the noise is cut down buy buying third party pipes that should help there, then my only concern is smell and smoke and that getting noticed or people angry about that.

I don’t know about the filter, but the noise level is very high. About 87 decibel inside and about 103 coming out of the exhaust.

@ 85 decibel hearing protection should be worn to avoid damage to hearing.

1 Like

The decibel level at the bottom of the glow forge is about 100 decibel!!! This seems way to loud for this machine.