Non-Permanent Venting

yours didnt come with a “cap” to cover the hole when hose isn’t attached? In my case I plan on just removing it from the window (as it is adjustable then locks in, not permanent). Now that I think of it, i couold use itduring the winter months ( well what arizona calls winter anyways) for the Glowforge…

1 Like

I suppose not. I think in my head I was looking for cheap accordion-style wings like window air conditioner units have. Metal’s not necessary. But, hey… I just spent thousands on a laser, guess I shouldn’t cry about 60 bucks, huh. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

seriously man, I made one for $8. get a dryer vent attachment form home depot and mount it through a piece of fiber board cut to fit your window size. it bends enough to make it fairly easy to get in the window.

3 Likes

Would it be necessary to have a damper for venting? Total newbie to this sort of stuff! For now I’ve just been planning on cutting a hole the size of the dryer vent into a piece of wood sized to fit my window, no vent attachments or anything.

1 Like

Where I live that would be like putting up a sign saying “vermin entrance here”! The field mice have already started their migration to the warm confines of the house. It’s a continuous war trying to find and seal up entry ports. Those things can fit through a space the size of a quarter and will tunnel happily through insulation and anything they can chew.

4 Likes

Ouch!! I suppose that will apply to mosquitos as well? Though I wouldn’t put it past the plethora of squirrels we have in our neighborhood to check it out…maybe I will look into covering the vent then :slight_smile: Thanks!!

1 Like

Mr. Squirrel, meet Mr. Laser.

2 Likes

i put one of these on, that goes through the wood:

it has a short tube that goes through the panel that the hose clips onto. I left my screen in my window, so it just blows through the screen on the outside. This just prevents backdrafts when not in use.

6 Likes

Oh awesome!! Being able to leave the screen down will be really great too. Thanks!

1 Like

Not that I know of. I could have just removed the adjustable ‘bracket’ that fits into the window, but it would be a PITA because of the way I had to get it to stay in to begin with. And being in Oregon, I’m pretty darned sure I won’t be caring to run the AC during the winter, anyway.

Depending on you seasonal temperatures, a blast gate might be warranted.
Here in Colorado I get possessive about my heat in the winter!

3 Likes

I’m in Northern Virginia, so luckily it may get bad but never really bad! Though I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to colder weather haha

1 Like

I’m concerned about a blast gate and the rest of the material in the window. Here in New Hampshire, we get plenty of days that are way below freezing. If I’m going to be lasering through a cold winter day, I want to lose as little heat as possible. I’m thinking about a couple layers of rigid foam installation cut to size for the opening of the window as well as a blast gate and to only leave it in place during the times I plan to use the laser.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan!
That rigid foam is easy to manipulate with a razor knife, and strong enough to give required structure.

1 Like

im planning on doing the same when the winter weather hits the south. Im gonna cut another piece of wood and shove some insulation between the two. might put in a cutoff slider as well if the air leakage is too high

2 Likes

With a December delivery, it this bears thinking about before they arrive. That’s one reason I ordered the filter, but I’ll be able to vent out a basement window until it arrives.

2 Likes

Absolutely.
With the wait, no good reason I shouldn’t have it accomplished and standing by.