Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

ooooo…only 2 grand too for the first 100 orders. 10/5 here I come :smiley:

Although, I honestly don’t know what I’d use it for right now. Gotta start noodling.

Or smaller and cheaper…

from same company

That’s their vacuum forming machine that people were excited about recently. Another option if you want a small, inexpensive vacuum former is this one from the dental industry. It gets good reviews from a number of maker types.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E42CUT4/

I have used neither a vacuum former nor a pressure former. So, my sense of the differences comes only from reading and watching videos about them.

2 Likes

Forget book nooks, let’s talk about outlet hideouts:

5 Likes

Got an ant problem? Get some gasoline!

Now you have two problems!

7 Likes

Previously …

:grinning:

(Obviously, that post is virtually un-findable with search unless you were searching in Japanese for some reason. I just remembered seeing that some time ago and posting it.)

4 Likes

Oh that’s a good previously. Someone should teach me how to use search!

6 Likes

has the Xerox ElemX aluminum 3d printer been shared here yet? I don’t recall seeing it, and it didn’t turn up in search. I only heard about it because a buddy produced this video and posted it to his linkdIn.

6 Likes

I don’t think I ever see your post, but I’m familiar with the guy because we follow him on YouTube. He makes really cool miniatures.

1 Like

Here is a twist I’ve never seen - a fractal vise.
Watching this whole thing was somehow strangely satisfying. Meticulous restoration of an antique.

If I were to guess who among us might have seen this before, it would be @jkopel or @johnj.

8 Likes

Oh that’s a good one. It got a little publicity recently because someone released a 3d printable version inspired by the restoration:

5 Likes

That’s neat! Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Ooo shiny.

https://gregdavill.com/blog/d20

This dude operates at a really high level.

3 Likes

60 hrs of bodging? Dedication.

Yeah that part made me go “ugh” too. But the result is awesome… I figure the pick/place-reflow process must have been ridiculously fiddly or something.

1 Like

Adding this to the list of cool things:

4 Likes

Huh, this is a photo, not a model.

5 Likes

That is pretty cool. But it does beg the question why they would do that? Seems to be inconsistent with normal military discipline & operations (although the neatness factor does fit)?

3 Likes

Knolling is a way of life, man. Heck for all we know this is a public relations effort, and they were ordered to do it. Gotta do something to convince people to join up… (though in many countries it’s compulsory, so who knows? ) Anyway, cool picture :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have seen quite a few done as public relations efforts showing off what was actually loaded onto a plane though usually not a direct overhead shot.

1 Like