Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

12 Likes

Interesting. Let us know if anyone here actually tries it on something!

2 Likes

Fun!

I have used baking soda as a filler with CA a few times but, haven’t done any casting with it.

Evan and Katelyn experimented it’s using it to cast dice awhile back:

5 Likes

That was my thinking from the beginning, though I had to scale down my thinking to what a Glowforge can accomplish.

2 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

Bird Buddy has finally shipped their product 2 years after their Kickstarter.

It’s a video bird feeder that sends you digital postcards from the birds that visit your feeder, with AI identification of the species, and pictures and video.

They remind me very much of Glowforge in the early days. Really cool product idea (that a bunch of companies tried to clone before they could ship) that they seemingly took forever to deliver on, but a truly delightful new user experience that made up for it, and they clearly have built a real company and great software around the hardware.

This pair of house finches has been living in my front garden for the past 2 years. I finally got to meet them up close and personal via the Bird Buddy which sends me video of them every day.

https://mybirdbuddy.com/

10 Likes

Aww I love them.

1 Like

What fun! If we had one it would be filming almost constantly. We’ve identified 45 species of birds that visit our property, although not all use the feeder. Our usual feeder guests include cardinals, house finches, blue jays, Carolina wrens, Carolina chickadees, Northern Flickers (small woodpeckers), and sparrows. We used to get a lot of doves, but they kept all the other birds away from the feeder, so we enclosed the top with a handmade wire cage that allows the smaller birds to get in but keeps the doves out.

6 Likes

I’ve been looking at similar products for a few months now but the reviews were all over the place. Thanks for the link. Will look at this closely.

2 Likes

I hope this link will work for those interested;

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/16/technology/chatgpt-artificial-intelligence-universities.html?unlocked_article_code=WchDwSakUR7maQIAEp_TmtSKoa6u9MWaaofZpsQNmtQw0FRm2zSAup4fS6iT2gEKaOQ21-vKKZEknad8RkPSoBXcSeZZ-b2W6VRy8NE2hP31ycNUt-vamuRp8L9rEuvqcfgVz-bJoT_2C5S6ALLKmUBBSLNmY7GD9NZVWujvmhFEdxlVAOKPeiJkImvJiECndUe6CHNYnZg-Wtq5Aj4XC8KVSpTe7z2R4MMOwRgF6ogVHmQ5BfYkMFloEP8QKSIKt9t3ipmH9YaaCJCJlz3b--cOfvbKlugJjzWfAyrUgkr3X1FTMoW8oqfYrh4109OGHRiI2jZSTaGrR3vTnUXLhqTrN0BNy6DJsXObo0Kz6ot9YFzZS0azzJlr&smid=share-url

5 Likes

For all the miniaturists, here are some tiny books!

8 Likes

Those are so adorable!

3 Likes

I guess technically this is off topic because it’s laser based, but it’s definitely interesting!

Using lasers to divert lightning strikes, crazy.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00080-7

7 Likes
6 Likes

ChatGPT + Wolfram Alpha… combine different engines for different functions.

4 Likes

That was some serious flying!

2 Likes
5 Likes

Oh that’s something else! Teenager me wants one.

4 Likes

I’m wondering how well those induction plates would do for melting metals. In order to melt stainless steel for casting induction melting was required so oxidizing would not happen.

1 Like

Man makes a storage chest for his kids…toys. (Cute scene at the end with the kids and the chest.)

4 Likes