Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

i dunno, man. my guitar player is vegan and he’s damn near killed us in basement rehearsals with gas. i think if you ate nothing but vegans, you’d be poisoned for sure.

9 Likes

Huh, ultra thin and light paint

6 Likes

I used to be on a strict vegetarian diet until I discovered that bacon is not from a strict vegetarian.

I have not tried eating Vegans. I imagine the shipping costs from Vega must be astronomical.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s something I may consider doing later.
I always apply directly on the website.

3 Likes

Colored the same way as a butterfly’s wings, cool!

6 Likes

This is happening so quickly…

"We discuss the rising capabilities and implications of these models. We demonstrate that, beyond its mastery of language, GPT-4 can solve novel and difficult tasks that span mathematics, coding, vision, medicine, law, psychology and more, without needing any special prompting. Moreover, in all of these tasks, GPT-4’s performance is strikingly close to human-level performance, and often vastly surpasses prior models such as ChatGPT. "

8 Likes

Yeah that’s two weeks old. Probably already needs to be updated. As you said, fast.

5 Likes

There’s really interesting stuff going on with using GPT4 to plan and direct large complex tasks by issuing and evaluating the results of other GPT4 queries. It essentially plans and manages a hierarchy of delegated GPT4 subtasks, each of which can also delegate. Amazing stuff.

9 Likes

I had no idea this was possible… Polyphonic Singing.

8 Likes

An example of a modern western song that uses it:

6 Likes

Creepy yet strangely fascinating.

5 Likes

This is cool:

8 Likes

Interesting. Interrogating dark matter by its only apparent influence, gravity. It’s surprising to me that gravitational lensing might be a tool to detect it’s presence and quantity.
The balloon platform is innovative -and inexpensive. That is cool!

7 Likes

Orbital velocities of stars is also an indication.

What’s more interesting to me is that all visible matter is only 5% of the composition of the universe, and dark matter estimated 27%. The rest is dark energy.

5 Likes

The part that I have not figured out is how much Time dilation is is accounted for. It is noted that while falling into a black hole happens very fast form the view of the one falling, from the outside observer it takes nearly forever due to time dilation as does the case of space craft nearing the speed of light.

The red shift is a direct result also appears to be a direct result as so many vibrations per second becomes fewer per second if your seconds are longer. Thus for a galaxy moving away faster than the speed of light, we would never see that light, but as it neared the speed of light the apparent time dilation would approach infinite as x-rays slowly became long radio waves and the cosmic background radiation longer yet.

Dark energy was calculated by red shift distances and supernovas, but I cannot find where time dilation was included in the calculations, though it would certainly make a difference in the result at least in part.

In thinking about what you would see if watching a galaxy recede at the threshold of faster than light and realizing the cosmic background radiation was farther back yet.

6 Likes

Yes, it is amazing to think that all we see is only a small fraction of the universe. According to the theory, apparently the dominance of dark energy is an emergent characteristic. Its always been there, but gravity was dominant initially, but as expansion proceeded, whatever dark energy is, its effect became more pronounced than gravity.

Not really surprising considering our rudimentary understanding and experience of time, and how we experience it according to relativity. We see objects billions of lightyears distant, but relativity tells us a photon, the physical carrier of electromagnetism doesn’t experience time. :no_mouth:
We are attempting to understand the pieces of a puzzle we can’t even see clearly, much less how they fit together. :thinking:

4 Likes

Thinking that perhaps light and time are aspects of the same thing and every location the center of the universe from that point of view. Like when a pebble drops in still water the area of the wave keeps getting bigger, every direction we look is backwards in time as well, so if we look later each point is further back, and two points in opposite direction are farther apart. So of course the universe looks bigger but perhaps it is only a matter of finding a different perspective where time is not the measured item.

4 Likes

I have been hearing that there is an overgrowth of sargassum seaweed on East Coast beaches, and wasn’t sure how much there was or where it was located.

I’m visiting my dad in northern central Florida on the Atlantic coast and went to his beach. I’ve never seen seaweed on this beach before but it’s fairly well covered now. I brought my drone, so here you go:

13 Likes

Damn that’s a pretty shot. Even if it’s a messy situation.

7 Likes

That wouldn’t even raise eyebrows up here in the Northeast. It’s pretty typical for the ocean beaches of Cape Cod, MA and the NH coast.

6 Likes