Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

I would also hit MidJourney with something like: ornamental tile pattern, stencil, black and white, high contrast, vector, white background

These were just the first two sets and they would be easy to convert into SVG in Inkscape.

11 Likes

[ears perk up] Tell us more!

4 Likes

As you might expect, I have been working with Celtic design themes, mostly spirals so far. I plan on doing some with key patterns and knotwork, too. I am trying to make things that have a repeating pattern but, aren’t clearly demarcated tiles. I think I have the process pretty much figured out now. I received my first set of samples a few days ago. Here’s a quick phone snapshot of one of them.

11 Likes

Ooh, nice! Fashion fabric, home decor…?

5 Likes

This is a great design! Would love to hear more about what you are doing!

7 Likes

It’s still a little bit fuzzy. I originally set out to make something to use for bag linings (e.g., for the embossed velvet bags) but, started having other ideas in the process. Some of it may end up on the outside of bags or other accessories. After seeing this sample, I am seriously considering some quasi-costume clothing, like a hapi jacket or some simple drawstring pants to go with a black silk hapi I made awhile back. I used to be part of a performing taiko group and, it is difficult to resist designing new uniforms for a hypothetical/fictitious future group.

8 Likes

Are you working with one of those sites where you upload designs and then people can order them or something like that? I don’t know a lot about those but am interested in learning how you go about getting fabric made with your own design!

10 Likes

Yes! As much fun as a DesignJet would be, I would have trouble justifying the cost and the space. I looked at several options but, settled on Spoonflower. I got a box of fabric swatches and a huge color chart print from them almost exactly a year ago and, left it sitting until a few weeks ago.

I designed my patterns in Inkscape, picking colors visually, then used the color chart thing from Spoonflower to find the closest matches I could to adjust the colors for printing.

I exported that to bitmaps and, used Photoshop to cut seamless tiles from the designs. That can be a little tricky, depending on your design.

The tile image gets uploaded to the service and, you can then order sample swatches or yardage. They are in the process of moving. So, beware of lead time right now. Interestingly, this is the second set of samples I ordered. The first set (with a different design) haven’t been printed yet.

10 Likes

That is awesome. I have a particular design or two that I think would be awesome. I have other projects in queue right now but I need to keep this in mind!! Thank you for sharing!

10 Likes

I found this as an app a few years ago…
https://tilemaker.qfi.org/

5 Likes

Of course, each gets crazy in a bunch…

5 Likes

I just ordered a small number of items from Spoonflower after hearing about it here in the forum. Now I seem to spend way too much time admiring all of the graphic designs. I am sorry there are people losing their jobs and production facilities closing down. I look forward to admiring your designs if you make them available for sale.

11 Likes

Video about electronic mice that race to solve a maze. Seriously cool engineering in a small space.

10 Likes

I’m sure there is a subset of us who will like this:

8 Likes

What the… how the…

The state of the art in tie dye is crazy.

Ok I did some digging and found this guys Instagram. This is pretty wild.

7 Likes

Daaaamn!
I have a shirt done in the shibori tie dye style, and I cannot wrap my mind around the time it takes to set those up!

2 Likes

GnuIMP / GraphicsIMP

I don’t use the software, but I know a lot of folks on here do. Has the name ever bothered you? It did me, but as I didn’t use it, I moved on. Turns out the creators know it’s a slur and are ok with that…which makes me even happier I don’t use it.

Food for thought:
https://mastodon.art/@welshpixie/110786783498208451

2 Likes

I had no idea. Thanks

3 Likes

I didn’t know this at all, either. :angry:

2 Likes

I always thought it was a term for a submissive male, as in the movie “Pulp Fiction” which came out in 1994 . The software was released in 1995. What the name and logo have to do with a fox/dog hybrid, I have no idea.

3 Likes