Norton White Tile Method

Just a FYI to anyone making these tiles, There seems to be a huge demand at hardware/ building centers for custom tile work. Been in meetings the last few days getting ready to supply at least one store in my town. Might be worth looking into.

4 Likes

Methinks a pool is a bad idea on a star ship, even one with artificial gravity. Which begs the question, is the artificial gravity uniformly down or does it pull towards a central point? Because if you are trying to make that spare on the bowling alley it could matter.

5 Likes

If it pulled towards a central point, not only would that be problematic in an x-y-z environment, but it would be a real issue for the set builders. They have to have solved gravity and inertia or all the rear walls would get real messy every time they accelerated to light speed in a couple of seconds.

3 Likes

“Inertial dampers” are standard on all Federation starships :wink:

6 Likes

The Norton White Tile Metod post has officially been derailed (or should I say de-warped) into a Star Trek fans discussion. :joy:
“Make it so.”

4 Likes

Hey @primal_healer, can you share your belt cleaning method? I just did a visual inspection and mine look really crappy. Is it something I can do without taking the belts off?

1 Like

Not sure if mine is a good one or not but what i did was remove the x belt from the plate brushed it down and cleaned with soapy water and a tooth brush. I;m sure there is a better method out there just didn’t have the time to search for it.

1 Like

That’s about all you can do, any solvent will likely attack the material.

I have small soft nylon bristle brush attachments for a dremel and have used it to clean similar belts on my x-carve, but never on the GF.

2 Likes

I am anxious to try and laser green clay that will take the heat-shock and still hold together. Raku clays specialize in this but are meant to cool quickly and not heat quickly.

However, if the green clay can be lasered to metasilicate and the green clay surrounding it made soft and washed away, pieces of incredible intricacy could be produced :grin:

2 Likes

I would be interested in outcome of green clay experiment.

2 Likes

Latest tile i made for my uncle, it is his recipe my grandma stole and put in her cookbook. Hard to decide how to fill out the sides of the tile as the aspect ratio is a bit of a pain and doesn’t match up to many tiles i have available. I think my uncle will like it either way tho.

12 Likes

Wow, that is awesome! I am sure he will love it!!

2 Likes

A heirloom piece to be sure, that just rocks. :heart:

5 Likes

Found this thread the other day and was intrigued. I made these coasters for my daughter. I found that the results are really dependent on the processing of the picture. I processed one picture two ways and used the same settings (thanks @beerfaced) and got these results. Thanks to all those that worked out the setting for the Norton Method.

12 Likes

Very nice. You have it nailed!

2 Likes

Curious what models everyone is using. I attempted using 240 speed, 13 power on my pro and the results looked great until I wiped the paint remover and I found I had only barely etched the paint.

I guess that goes to show that calibrations take time, but save more…

I have a basic model. Here are the settings I used from @beerfaced post: My take on the Norton White Tile Method

3 Likes

All the ones i made were on a Pro

Mine were on a pre-nerf Plus model with the 45W tube.

1 Like

Thanks. I now have The Pop Shoppe Bubble Gum pop on my screen. your comment was immensely funny. :rofl: :speak_no_evil: image