Norton with color

Holy cow is that sharp! I think I know what ideas I’m playing with next! Well done.

2 Likes

You are really perfecting this technique. Thanks so much for sharing you experience.

2 Likes

I assume you are using a jig of some sort for the multiple passes?

2 Likes

What a fabulous idea!
I know that if you run the same design over and over the placement stays the same inside the Glowforge. If you forge something else while waiting for the paint to dry, then load up the original design, is it still aligned to the same spot?

1 Like

These are so sweet.

I want to make sure I’m understanding what you’re doing correctly. Tell me if this is right:

1. Start with a Norton method engrave (i.e., you paint the tile, engrave, then wash of extra paint)

2. Mask the tile, engrave certain areas, which removes the tile glaze from those areas, which prepares it to be painted?

3. Paint the whole thing with the nice color

4. Remove the mask

5. (optional) score for fancy shadow effects =P

Is this right?

Really cool work.

4 Likes

Yep, made the jig before I started. I made it out of heavy card stock that I bought from a local paper company, cheap and easy to cut.

3 Likes

Thank you. I make my jigs with straight edges to butt up flush to the edges of the crumb tray. After I figure out the placement of my cutout and before cutting, I register a mark on the jig that aligns with one of the permanent marks I have on the crumb tray edge. That way I can remove the jig any time needed and return to the exact (we know nothing is exact) spot.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes, except for these two I did step 1 twice. First with the white paint and next the gray.

1 Like

Beautiful work. Excellent idea with the colors. Now I have to go shopping for tile.

2 Likes

Thank you. You can get 4x4 squares 15¢ each at Lowe’s and a sheet of the 2x3 that I ran the tests (When curious, run tests) on is $2.99 (15 tiles on a mesh mat)

3 Likes

Yeah I usually get them at HD. I’ve done the Norton method before with great results.

It’s been fascinating doing these test. I’m about brave enough to go search for a 12x12 now.

Yeah I’m looking forward to trying multiple colours like you did.

I still have at least 75 more cans of spray paint that I can try.

I’ve seen some. I loved the Popeye tile. That is probably the best tile I have ever seen.

7 Likes

My go to coaster haha. Thanks.

1 Like

What do you have to do differently to get the photo effect, like the Audrey Hepburn tile? Or is that a different method. I see how it comes out all one color with the slow speed low power medium line count, but for photos, do you just do vary power?

1 Like

I didn’t do the one of Audrey, so I can’t answer that, but I did this tile of a picture I took in Israel.

These were the settings.

11 Likes

I thought the paint would just wash off the unengraved parts?

1 Like

I did a light engrave where I was going to apply the paint so it would adhere.

2 Likes

:+1: