Not-Cutting Vinyl Fabric

Dearest forum! I come to you in my time of need.

I’ve been working on a bunch of textile projects the past year and have slowly been getting deeper and deeper into super burly materials. My latest foray into this world is working with vinyl-coated polyester (VCP) to make a haul bag-style backpack.

Unfortunately, my usual strategy of cutting material on the 'forge won’t work since vinyl is a huge no-no for lasers.

What strategies would you use to make complex and precise patterns? Would you use a template out of another material? What material would you use? Any ‘hacks’ you’ve tried to create larger templates than the bed size?

2 Likes

Nope, I got nuttin. For something that size and thickness, the only thing I can think of would be a really sharp rotary cutter, and that doesn’t lend itself well to intricate cuts. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

A rotary cutter will certainly be helpful on the straight sections but like you said it’s not great around curves and corners. It’s tough having been spoiled by a laser for so long :weary:

2 Likes

If it didn’t have a vinyl component, I’d consider melting it with a woodburning tool…but you run into the same issues with that, so no go.

1 Like

In one of my old jobs we had to cut aramide fabric (Kevlar) into intricate shapes. We used a pair of electric scissors. This may be a solution that you can look into. The smaller blades allow you to do curves and intricate shapes pretty easily and the electric operation cuts through thick and tough material pretty easily.

4 Likes

If the Vinyl piece you want to cut is relatively simple and you don’t need to make a bazillion of them, I’d make a template out of MDF or Ply and then use that with a sharp Xacto knife to trace the outline and cut the shape by hand. Vinyl cutters are all knife-based machines.

2 Likes

make the pattern on a piece of MDF. Place it over the main piece you want cut and then go around it with a rotary cutter. For sharp corners and curves get as close as you can with the rotary cutter but then take an ultra sharp knife (I prefer the xacto z series blades) trace the pattern while putting a stupid amount of down pressure on the template so the material underneath doesnt shift

3 Likes

the only thing I can think of that would possibly work is a water jet cuter. it would theoretically give some amazing detail.

a nearby makerspace might have one.

4 Likes

While that would be exceedingly cool, I think a waterjet might be a bit overkill for fabric. But I may have to find an excuse to use one anyway :thinking:

4 Likes

you COULD use a water jet to make a die to cut the pattern. That would require sourcing a press too though. Would be good if you’re looking to make multiples

2 Likes

I would probably try cutting the template from cotton (a Docker’s weight of canvas) and then using a tacky spray to adhere the cotton to the VCP. Depending on how well the VCP cuts with an exacto knife (see jbv’s collection here) I’d consider adhering it to a big ol sheet of plywood/mdf to cut it out.

As for cutting out fabric larger than the glowforge bed, wrap the cloth around a dowel and IIRC there is a decent size gap to stuff it at the back of the crumb tray. Then just unroll it. Otherwise it looks like a custom crumb tray could be in your future. Presumably you have access to a Snapmark enabled glowforge.

So, are you going for functional use or more about style? If it’s style I just love the distressed look of a waxed/waterproofed canvas and leather accents - all glowforge-safe.

1 Like

It is my understanding theSilhouette is planning an upgraded machine in the near future that will do exactly what you are looking for in many materials verboten for lasers. actually cutting vinyl, thin copper and aluminum. the Waterjet will cut thicker metals but the cost of materials of grit and nozzles is pretty steep and I am not sure the fabric would be unaffected by water.

5 Likes

Are my google searches right - that weight is basically 20-21 mil - or .02” inches or so?

Won’t most of the vinyl cutters cut that? Is it a matter of finding one that will cut large enough?

1 Like

Let me change that to butcher paper or craft paper. I think you’d want something cheap and that doesn’t stretch.

What you are looking for is a drag knife on a cnc router. Your maker space most likely has the router but maybe /maybe not the drag knife.
If they don’t, perhaps you could donate one in exchange for some cnc time?
I’ve got links at the house and can post later if you are interested.
If that is not an option, perhaps print out the plans on a large format printer and trace with a sharp razor knife?

4 Likes

a lot of adhesive vinyl is in the 3 to 9 mil range, and that’s what a lot of plotters are set up for with the standard blade. Most have optional heavy-duty blades of some type for thicker materials. The downforce of the blade is a variable between plotters, as is the method/force of holding the material. My graphtec, for example, has 600 grams of downforce and is rated for up to .25mm adhesive vinyl, or up to 1mm sandblast-resist rubber (using the optional 1.5mm blade instead of the normal 0.9mm blade)
For the cricut machines, there is a fabric cutting wheel available to replace the straight blade, which is said to be able to handle much thicker materials… i don’t know if it requires setting up the cut files differently as I have never used a cricut.
There is a deep-cut blade available for some of the silhouette machines, but I don’t think they have a cutting wheel.

3 Likes

I have a friend on Vashon who does waterjet cutting as a service.
He does a lot of work for artists and other folks who just want a one off.
http://vashonwaterjet.com/ (not the most interesting web site :wink:)
You might be surprised by how affordable it would be.
DM me if you you want an introduction.

6 Likes

I was going to suggest y’all get together to make some fancy dies with your fancy (read: awesome) equipment. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’d suggest you use a Silhouette Cameo or Cricut Maker. The Maker has 4kg downforce, if you can wait for Cameo 4 release in the fall it will have 5kg downforce and come in a 20" wide version. That should be plenty to get through your burly material.

2 Likes

Cricut?