Notebook Cover 2:1 Pitch

One of the projects I have loved here on the forums are the custom notebook covers. I went ahead and purchased the Cinch book binder with the 2:1 pitch but did not easily find a premade file. If anyone else is using the same machine or 2:1 binding wires, this should get you started, although it was easy enough to set up. I did find a cover made for 3:1 pitch so if you need that, just do a search. Thanks to @pubultrastar for my cover inspiration as I needed to make some gifts for friends.

Just FYI, to set up the name, I simply made a rectangle, then the name and went into pathfinder in AI and selected ‘minus back’. Hope that helps for those still learning.

The Cinch Machine:

And if I did it correctly, the SVG:

WoodenNotebooks

If you chose to use the sand dollar, make sure you score the outside of the sand dollar and cut the inside pieces. The file does not include the name. I used MDF from Home Depot for my first one but of course, you can use plywood, hardwood, MDF or whatever you choose.

Edited to add: This one is 5.5 x 7.5 inches

42 Likes

Nice share. Thank you.

2 Likes

Looks great! Thanks for sharing the file.:grinning:

Thanks for sharing

Thank you for sharing.

I added a link to your file to my existing “all kinds of binding stuff” post. The post includes comb, 2:1 and 3:1 rectangular hole patterns and I try to keep it updated with links to others’ binding-related files.

4 Likes

Thanks. I totally missed that post in my search.

Excellent, thanks!

Thanks. I have a Cinch, so this is perfect!

I really like the addition of the name, and the simplicity of the sand dollar. Really nice!

Thank you!

1 Like

I went back and read your “everything binding” post. Excellent overview!
One suggestion I might add on sub-size paper, such as 5-1/2 x 8-1/2. It’s usually much easier to find 8-1/2 x 11 (in the US), and there is an almost unlimited selection of colors, finishes, etc. , but it can be difficult to do a decent finished cut to the size you need. As an alternative, find a local print shop and ask if they will cut. They have the right equipment (and expertise) to cut it accurately and quickly. They can do it while you wait and probably won’t charge much (if at all). My local shop is owned by a friend, so maybe I’m spoiled, but I think she actually enjoys the idea of smaller, unique projects. She also has access to an amazing range of papers, many of which are unavailable in the retail world. Might not work for all, but if you get serious about binding, could be worth checking out.

3 Likes

Thanks, good idea!

I don’t see the file to download

Right-click on the line drawing and save. That’s the SVG.

Thanks

1 Like