Nutella lock

Logan’s Roadhouse (or Texas Roadhouse) is a pretty good chain as far as a mid-level steak place goes. We’ll eat there on occasion. I worked in a food processing plant in Mansfield, Texas when I was younger. At the time we were doing Denny’s Hardy’s and a number of other nation wide accounts. I used to make several hundred thousand hamburgers a night :smile: My favorite part of the job was the company sale each month. I would buy up steaks from the steak line (especially after I figured out how they were marking the boxes as to too thin or too thick (never figured out why they didn’t just re-carve the steaks that were too heavy.) We also had access to a lot of Mrs. Smith’s pies and cobblers, must have been the same parent company.

I remember when the company starting running testing of Prime Rib (I think it was for Denny’s) We had to cook batches (steam them, actually) that were several hundred pounds. The idea was that they were fully cooked in the plant then just warmed and served at the restaurant. Because of that we had heaping piles of steaming Prime rib on the tables in the break room for about a month. It was even more popular than when they had to occasionally test cheese sticks every month or so.

9 Likes

I was contracted to haul some pallets of spices to a well know Baker, rye seed, cloves, cinnamon etc. In cloth bags from all over the world. My truck box smelled sooo good for weeks!
Stuff is really expensive.

9 Likes

5 or 6 years ago my wife used to do packaging design for a local “organic bean to bar” chocolate maker. They roast their own beans and everything in the neighborhood smells like roasted cocoa (not really chocolaty smelling at all). While she worked there she could bring home “scrap” which was broken bars and various kinds of rejects. I am a huge chocoholic but even I hit a plateau after a while.

Boy do I miss it now, that stuff 'aint cheap!

7 Likes

My Son brought me back some ‘Lindt’ chocolate from Germany, It was killer.

I was told this is the theory German bakeries use.
For the first 2 years the Apprentice is allowed to eat all they want… no questions asked (but only for personal consumption). After 2 years they are allowed no more freebees.
Most don’t make it through the first year before they are sick of the pastries

Lived there for 5 years… Lindt is great (but Australian stores stock it so nothing special over here)
The best stuff is Niederegger Lübeck Marzipan.
I brought 10kg of the stuff back with me once, ate it all in 2 weeks. I am surprised i am not diabetic now

5 Likes

If you love Lindt chocolate and visit Canada, just raid a London Drugs store. It’s a brand they regularly carry, and every LD I’ve gone to has probably half the chocolate section dedicated to it.

Case in point: http://www.londondrugs.com/search/?q=lindt&sz=109

Also be sure to try the Coffee Crisp, ketchup and all-dressed potato chips (in moderation).

2 Likes

In the US it’s all over the Northeast. I also see them in premium outlet malls.

Being able to get it whenever it’s not that incredible seeming. We have a couple of local chocolatiers (local being in state :slightly_smiling_face:) that are really good.

2 Likes

Even Walmart carries it here…
Had some chocolate bar from a little french place… to die for (and only 35 or 50 euros…ouch)

2 Likes

Are you talking about Theo? That place is awesome! We go there a couple times a month. Stepping out of the car it always smells like… my house when I’m making chocolate from the bean! :wink:

And I can attest that roasting cocao beans doesn’t really smell like chocolate per say, but more like fresh brownies.

1 Like