Octiles

My daughter told me about a game she played last weekend called Octiles. She really liked it, but apparently it’s out of print. I went on line and tried to get as good a look at it as I could and I (shamelessly) copied it.

I would be happy to share the files, but I can’t determine if this game is still owned by anyone. Anyone care to look?

My favorite part of the build was creating a jig for gluing up the playing pieces.

51 Likes

The game designer is/was Dale Walton and the copyright holder appears to be Pin International. As you mentioned it’s out of print, but they have other games still available, so probably still a going concern.

Best Mind Game of 2003 award from Mensa – looks fun.

6 Likes

Nice job on the game! :grinning:

1 Like

Oh man. I played a version of this on the computer for hoouuurrrsss. This game is awesome!

1 Like

Here is a link to the downloadable files

5 Likes

By the way, this site is wonderful for print and play games. We use it a lot.

How did you choose to do your colored acrylic showing through? wood engraved with acrylic inset or cut through with a sandwiched layer of acrylic underneath?

Nice job! If anyone is interested in instructions on playing…
http://www.boardspace.net/octiles/english/rules.html

2 Likes

@jonnyvermont, I like yours better than the downloadable images on the BoardGamesGeek site.

What a cool looking game! Yours is gorgeous!

Real nice board game

1 Like

Thanks! I basically found some images online and brought them into illustrator and painstakingly traced everything. I used Maple ply for the board, and Cherry ply for the pieces. I used black acrylic for the square spacers. I also used colored velour for game piece home bases.

1 Like

Here is my biggest problem… I want to make a box for it. The board is 10.5" x 10.5". I designed a box that is 11x11, but alas I can’t get it to print on the GF… too big. Am I actually going to have to build a finger joint jog for my table saw? (on my long list anyway). Suggestions?

one of the ways that I considered approaching this for my Catan Box (12.5x12.5), was to turn it 45 degrees and only do two sides at once. Then flip it and cut out the other two sides.

• Cut out a square of your material at 11.5x11.5 using your table saw
  • In your laser, cut a 90 degree corner facing up that you can slide the square into (FIRMLY HOLD THIS PART IN THE LASER SO IT WON’T MOVE)
  • After removing the waste part, slide in your square, line up the cuts with the 90 degree corner you made earlier (either design these to parts in the same file and ignore one part or another, or use add artwork to bring it in)
  • Cut the first two sides, turn the board 180 degrees and then cut out the last two sides.

The problem I had with this was that my machine just wasn’t accurate enough at the time to make the two cuts meet at the same place. I believe that with recent updates, the accuracy just might be close enough to do this now.

(Just sharing an idea about how you can make this work)

4 Likes

And here is something to kind of visualize what I was trying to say.

ForumCornerVisualization.pdf (1.6 KB)

Here’s Hoping a picture is worth a thousand words, lol.

Also, I guarantee you that these box joints will not work for anyone’s purposes, they were randomly placed and sized by hand and not generated by any software package or extension. For visualization purposes only!

2 Likes

Just watch some guru come in here and use that box joint for something just to prove you wrong :laughing:

I know! When I read it again, I was thinking that someone will take the challenge and use it artistically in a way I’d never consider.

I say, Bring it on! show me the fault in my ways! :rofl::laughing:

What a cool project! The board looks so clean due in no small part to your jig.

Thanks Dan!

What a fun build. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like