"Office" Style GF Room with Storage

Yeah mine always looks like that…

Some creative types require a “nest” around them for inspiration.
(That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.)

9 Likes

It’ll be clean for Thanksgiving, even if shoved in a box to be sorted and organized better later.

6 Likes

Neatness is inefficient.

The stuff you use most will be on the top of “disorganized” stacks. As you use it less it moves toward the bottom. Since you most often need something you’ve recently used, it’s the stuff closest at hand most of the time. So most of your material grabbing time is fast. Only some of it requires spelunking a stack.

Neatness costs time & effort to maintain and then costs effort all of the time to retrieve vs simply some of the time.

Never trust a creative neat freak - they’re time wasters :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

You know…you’re right! I never thought of it that way, but it takes me about ten times longer to do anything after I’ve had one of the sporadic “put-things-away” sessions.

I can never find anything.

4 Likes

My sporadic “put-things-away” sessions are almost always triggered by a failure of the pile method. If there’s something I need only once every few months, having it in a pile is really bad because I’m going to have to get fairly deep (and not even sure which pile) before I find it. So those kinds of things have to have places for other stuff, piles are OK, especially if you can see things lower down without going all the way there. There’s a whole subfield of computer science dedicated to figuring out this kind of thing – which storage method is most efficient depending on how often you need to get at a particular thing.

(And then there was my mother: when we cleaned out her house we found multiples of a lot of things, and realized that she’d put the first one away somewhere safe, then been unable to find it, gotten another one and put it away somewhere safe…)

12 Likes

Oh yeah…I’m bad for that too. :smirk:

My worst trick is pre-ordering a good book by a favorite author, letting a few months go by and buying it again, then buying it a third time when it comes out in a renamed anthology.

(sigh!)

9 Likes

Exactly. I will operate that way (pile) until I can’t find what it is that I need, then OK, that’s it. Clean this mess up.

Thanks for the reassuring image @bill_laba! That post-grenade look is the mark of ideas manifest.

3 Likes

Pardon my ignorance, what is BB?

I was puzzled, too. Finally dawned on me it’s probably Baltic Birch (plywood).

4 Likes

Yep. Sorry about that :slight_smile: I usually try to spell out things the first time I use them in a message and then abbreviate. Baltic Birch is kind of ubiquitous for laser cutting/engraving. Sort of a go-to plywood. Not too expensive, not tons of grain and light so it works for most things. Solid woods like maple, ash, poplar, cherry, oak, etc are usually chosen for some particular purpose where the coloring & grain play a part of the design. But the thin plywood you get at Home Depot or Lowes (or other building/home center) can be cheaper but tends to be very erratic in results due to the lack of any real standard for the wood (true imported Baltic Birch is a fairly well defined & regulated product in Europe).

3 Likes