Oh, it is rocket science

My nephew used to work at SpaceX and as you can imagine “model” rocketry is big there, and he is on a team for a pretty serious rocket (not sure something that is built of Carbon Fiber and burns liquid methane and LOX and is very supersonic is really a model… ) Anyway this beast flies at around mach 2 up to about 50,000’ (the FAA caps them at 60,000). His team needed a good sign in the booth. The base is a sheet of Draft board and the surface is :proofgrade: Maple plywood. The front is :proofgrade: clear acrylic with their team logo engraved while the back is :proofgrade: black acrylic. I put a strip of blue 12V LEDs onto the draft board under the slot. Then At the bottom of both acrylic sheets I put in a bunch of 1/10" holes about 1mm from the edge to have something for hot glue to bite into. I hot glued the layers together then glued the acrylic into the slots and then put the steel spacers in.

On the maple I engraved the Apollo 11 photo of earth, and the Apollo 11 shot of the moon. I then drew the transfer orbit between them which goes under the front acrylic. There is an easter egg if you look on the black acrylic in real life there is the engraving of the lunar lander docked with the capsule as a line drawing (can’t really see it from the front, so you have to know it’s there since it is black on black. I originally was going to use the lit standoffs, but figured they could never compete with sunlight at the launch site, while these strips are blinding bright.

30 Likes

Beautiful! Love the quote.

3 Likes

It was surprisingly hard to find a good Apollo 11 quote that had the right amount of snark…

4 Likes

That is Far Out! :grinning:

2 Likes

You should try to get a glowforged payload item or part on one of their flights. You might set a record for highest GF part.

2 Likes

Actually I have 3D printed the launch rail guide whichI designed which is undergoing destructive testing right now.

2 Likes

This is really cool!

1 Like

The vertical lines are not artifact, it’s that Nylon 910 is fairly transparent and you are seeing the hexagonal infill through the shell. The launch guide rail is a t-shaped steel extrusion with specs of a 1/8" clearance tolerance. This part is ejected from the rocket after it clears the rail.

7 Likes