Ok, why did i put this off so long? (external exhaust)

You will not be unhappy. Game changer!

1 Like

I ordered the exact same setup. Just waiting for it to arrive! I am really looking forward to it!

2 Likes

if you ordered the exact same reducers, they’re a little bit of a loose fit.

but, if you have silicon tape, a quick three layer wrap on the fan side and they slide on snugly.

5 Likes

I wonder how much of an effect it would have making the line out of the fan 6" diameter to the window?

3 Likes

Thanks! I will keep that in mind!

You’ll get much better airflow if you don’t reduce on the non-GF side.

1 Like

That is actually my plan also. I have a new window kit coming also that outputs at 6" instead of 4".

1 Like

I got the AC Infinity fan as well. The difference is amazing. So quiet I can now run the GF when my wife is sleeping just down the hall. I had already plumbed for the 4" hoses so used those for now. I may at some point expand the outflow side but the next project is a 5" riser under the GF to eliminate a tight upturn on the exit hose. I suspect that’s the biggest impediment to the airflow at present. And even with that it is greatly improved.

2 Likes

Will it harm the internal GF fan if you leave it on? I plan on turning it off so it is quieter, but I don’t want to forget and damage anything either.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering that myself. Although the option to disable it is sticky across sessions so forgetting to disable it should not be a problem. Unless you are in the habit of toggling it on and off. Short of my external fan dying I cannot imagine ever turning mine on again.

2 Likes

That is probably the optimal choice. I just didn’t want to get a different quick release, cut a bigger hole in the acrylic, etc. and, figured it would still be good enough reduced back down to 4". I saw several other people say they had done what I did and, it was still good. If I have trouble or, if I ever replace the window panel, I will likely change it back to 6" all the way out.

1 Like

When I add my external fan the internal one is going along with the guard. I think I will go for the 4" one, as I’m not sure that the six inch is not starving down to four inch flow anyway.

The 4" inline duct fan (at least, the ones rated ~200cfm) is only sufficient by itself if you have a very short duct run.

3 Likes

good to know. what I am getting at is actual cfm as opposed to theoretical for 6" vs 4". I do believe that the 6" will pull better btw even with reducers. but it won’t perform as a 6".

The 6" Vivosun I have performs better by itself with my 35’ duct run than the 4" Vivosun did in conjunction with the built-in fan. Of course, I have removed the internal fan and cut out the grate.

I never had smoke or odor with the old setup, and don’t now. You can just see the smoke evacuate a lot faster than it used to. The interior stays cleaner as well.

3 Likes

installed yesterday. yes, it performs better, and significantly enough that it’s worth the difference. i turned off the main fan and getting a pretty clean run. i probably need to check the seals on the fan itself, maybe foil up a couple of places.

also added a Geeni surge suppressor to easily turn everything on and off.

1 Like

Hmmm, ok I will grab a 6" then. Thanks for the feedback.

Fun fact: “feedback” contains the first 6 letters of the alphabet.

2 Likes

a random negative that turned into a random positive. i ordered the infinity AC off of amazon on april 20. april 21 i got a “shipping form has been submitted to fedex” notification from fedex.

on april 30, it still hadn’t gone beyond “form submitted” on the fedex site. i messaged on amazon. messaged again on 5/2 since i hadn’t heard back. and ac infinity replied that they had taken all shipping into their own warehouse instead of amazon because their product wasn’t considered essential and was being delayed by amazon. they went from shipping 80-100 in their warehouse a week to 1000s. they were completely overwhelmed and had no idea if they’d shipped my package and had no way of figuring out status for an individual order. so they refunded me and said, “if you get it, keep it.”

i waited a few more days, still nothing, then put in a new order on amazon that was being fulfilled from the amazon warehouse. 8 hours later, i got the notice that the original package had arrived at the fedex facility. and i was able to cancel the reorder.

so, in the end, i got a free one. and it works really well. so they’re getting a good review on amazon.

4 Likes

My farmhouse has no trouble keeping up with the ‘supply’ side of ventilation.

2 Likes

I did this also (not that exact one) to turn the fan on when I turn on the GF! I just control the whole setup from one switch.

1 Like