Old Norse Wooden Calendar - With Clockworks and a Dragon

Here’s my take on Clayton Boyer’s clever design for a perpetual wooden calendar. Mine is customized with a Nordic theme, with the Old Norse days, months, and seasons included on the main wheel (with the sun in the middle).

Clayton’s design (www.lisaboyer.com) is pretty smart - It can “count” the correct days of the month, it knows if it’s a leap year, it has a lunar feature (bound in leather) showing you the current phase of the moon, and it will advance with a simple throwing of the main lever every day. I added an obligatory dragon pointing to the current month.

The piece also has several counterweights, made from red granite quarried near my hometown of Wausau, Wisconsin (provided by Appleton Marble & Granite Works)

Everything for the calendar was made right in my home studio on the Glowforge, except for the birch plywood frame and the main lever (both made by Another Turn Woodworks). A true labor of love, and what I hope will be a lifelong daily ritual marking the turning of time.

73 Likes
36 Likes

Now that is quite a thing. Great work.

9 Likes

I think that is magnificent! Thanks for the link. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Now that looks like a lot of fun!!! Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

I feel the same way looking at this as I do looking at the antikythera device - that’s incredibly cool - I do NOT get the math! :heart:

8 Likes

That is just amazing. Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece of art! Congrats, you will impress many who come to your home!!

4 Likes

That’s just awesome!

5 Likes

Very nice! I like your rock weights for your counter-balances too!

5 Likes

Now that is both fancy AND epic! Really awesome!

3 Likes

The absolute genius of this group never ceases to amaze me!

4 Likes

Check out Clayton Boyer’s other designs if you have time: www.lisaboyer.com. He’s the genius, I’m just a builder/customizer/Scandinavian fanatic :grinning:

5 Likes

This is nothing short of amazing.

3 Likes

That is seriously cool.

2 Likes

This is ingenious! Very cool masterpiece indeed…

1 Like

Mind blown! That is spectacular!

1 Like

Wow! What an exciting project!

1 Like

That’s cool!