On a purse kick - Living Hinges for the win!

Been so long since I posted. Been a little busy but wanted to share a few of the purses I made recently. Have 3 more coming, just waiting on the material. :slight_smile:

The purses were made from either 1/8" Acrylic or MDF, I did have a wood one but forgot to take pictures of it before I gave it away. HAHA. I named them Beach Purse (for obvious reasons), Delta Purse (obvious to me), and Sporran Purse (just because). The hardware and straps I got from Amazon were pretty inexpensive. Took me a while to really dial in the settings on the hinges, but I figured out the sweet spot for strength and flexibility. They have been fun to create and the math to create them is a bonus! (created in illustrator) I really wanted to hide the tabs and slots so I came up with another way to build them. :slight_smile:

Beach Purse

Delta Purse

Sporran Purse

56 Likes

Those are brilliant! Great photos too. How durable are the hinges?

17 Likes

Thanks! I love my cheap lightbox. Makes it easy to take great pictures.

13 Likes

They all look great, but the marbled one is my favorite.

15 Likes

Thanks! That one was interesting to design. I love odd shapes.

11 Likes

Fantastic work!

10 Likes

Wonderful work!!

8 Likes

My sweet— it has been a long time. Your handbags are incredible!!

Here is a link to a company that sells all types of hardware for bags.

8 Likes

Thank you!!! And thanks for the link! I need some new hardware!

6 Likes

These are really cool and unique great job!

7 Likes

Great design executed beautifully.

9 Likes

They look great that first one is for when you want to bring vacation with you.

8 Likes

Did that marble flare a lot and try to catch on fire? If not, who’s is it?
I tossed some marble I had gotten because all it wanted to do was turn into kindling.
Nice visual for this usage though…

8 Likes

These are gorgeous! The beach one is my favorite. More importantly, we’ve missed you!

11 Likes

I like the beach one best too.

6 Likes

It’s from Smokey Hill and it’s marble patternply with black acrylic core. Didn’t flame or smoke at all. Cut like butter. And no masking, just used a little simple green and a magic eraser and all the char came right off.

13 Likes

I have missed being here. Just been busy with my FB group and Etsy stuff as well as teaching at conferences. You know, normal everyday things. Haha. How have you been?

10 Likes

Haha, that’s a good tag line!

3 Likes

I was wondering how you got that ocean look. Definitely the most impressive but I too have had bad luck with bending fatigue that the bend eventually breaks. Great for a rounded shape but the “living” part seems to have a short lifespan.

10 Likes

I have been testing mine everyday for about 3 months and have had zero changes in the bend. The other bends are stable because they are secured in the frame of the purse. It was definitely a lot of trial and error to get them to this point. :slight_smile:

14 Likes