On the subject of AI

6 Likes
10 Likes

So, slightly off topic here, since I know we can’t PVC with a CO2 laser. Is there any type of laser that can cut it safely? Like maybe a fiber or diode laser? Or will any heat cutting method produce HCl?

1 Like

I don’t think you can avoid the fumes, but I am under the impression that it’s done industrially by just having extremely strong ventilation.

3 Likes

John Oliver on Artificial Intelligence. Both entertaining and informative. IMHO well worth ~30 minutes of your attention. While characterizing machine learning 'bots such as ChatGPT he says:

“The problem with AI isn’t that it’s smart. It’s that it’s stupid in ways that we can’t always predict.” [at 23:55]

2 Likes

That is almost human though the kind of stupid is different.

Edit: Perhaps after thinking about it the most human thing about it. It is more about the problems of granting power to humans or otherwise without oversight.

We all remember how much Issac Newton contributed to understanding gravity and inventing Calculus to do the job but we seem to forget all his contributions to Alchemy that took a greater time in his studies.
Where would we be if Issac had unfettered decisions about what science would investigate.

3 Likes

Now that you know it can be cut, did you follow up with will cutting it damage the laser cutter?

It answered the question you asked. If it answers, “yeah dude, it totally won’t damage your laser cutter, you should try it,” to the follow up question we know the countdown to the inevitable robot uprising has officially started.

3 Likes

8 Likes

8 Likes

The scary thing is, that if we didn’t know better, it is so well written that it sounds plausible.

4 Likes

That proves it, with AI nothing is impossible. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What is this AI you are asking these questions? It doesn’t seem very reliable. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Perhaps we should get in the habit of double-checking everything we hear/see. Imagine how that would change civilization!

3 Likes

Abraham Lincoln said that double checking the internet wasn’t necessary. I googled it.

8 Likes

Yeah! but he was a Republican!

3 Likes

It’s ChatGPT, the one that’s been all over the news.

3 Likes

Chat Giving Pure Trash…gotcha.

3 Likes

So what you’re saying is there isn’t a high school teacher alive who can’t spot the AI. Those answers sound like the kid who doesn’t know the answer but knows enough random facts around the question to put together an answer that sounds correct.

It’s not using big words incorrectly thinking (as if it thinks) that will make it sound smarter. They did that right.

3 Likes

Wow, many would give this a try it’s so well described. Makes me nervous!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.