One-Day Build Gift Caddy

Finishing up the gifts for the year, and needed one more. I settled on a caddy for some bath goods, and worked out a quick design with the usual box/tray-generator base with some enhancements. Cut from cheap Home Depot Sande ply and stained walnut-toned. Still needs some touch-ups and a clear-coat.

61 Likes

Is that tree inlay, or an engrave?

1 Like

It’s part of the original engrave, and the only part I didn’t stain.

7 Likes

This is lovely! Someone is going to be very happy!

4 Likes

Very nice!

4 Likes

Why am I not making boxes like this to give away! They really are nicely proportioned. Thanks for posting.

5 Likes

Thanks. I find the generator to be a good jumping-off point, welding on things in Illustrator as I go. It’s nice to provide a delivery vehicle that can stick around past the original purpose.

3 Likes

Incredible.

How do you like the Sande? I’ve seen it at my Home Depot, but haven’t gotten any. Would you say it’s a good buy?

1 Like

I have not seen it but the reviews are not good

How thick is the wood - it looks really chunky?

Gosh, that is simply gorgeous! I really like the contrasting inlay.

2 Likes

The linked reviews are pretty old, so maybe they’ve made some improvements. In any case, I doubt that I will buy any more.

It is an odd material. It’s meant for interior finishing, so it has a textured skin that looks like sort of an actual grain. It is a little lighter weight than standard ply and it has a weird smell that has persisted for months. No matter what I did with settings, it was difficult to get consistent cut-through every time.

1 Like

It is nominal 1/4, or 5.3 mm.

1 Like

Thank you. The inlay isn’t really an inlay, though. I thought about making one, but took the easy path of making it part of the original engrave and tricking the eye with color.

2 Likes

Beautiful design and build!

2 Likes

That’s super sick. I like how durable it looks while also having a really intricate design.

3 Likes

This is gorgeous!!! The added details kick it so far over the top!

3 Likes

Nice piece to finish up with.

1 Like

Excellent work! Love the dark stain and how it hides the ‘edges’ of the tabs. Lovely gift.

1 Like

Very nice! Is it for me… LOL?

1 Like