Online PDF box generator with symmetric notches – makeabox.io

Dear Wizaerd,

I am not really sorry that this public domain free application did not meet your stringent expectations, resulting in a frustration you expressed through the tone in your comment. Perhaps you should create your own, and make the checkbox exactly how you would prefer? In fact, you don’t even have to write one from scratch: you can just clone the existing project on Github, and make your own changes to it!

But telling the author how things “ought to look” or that there is no explanation, despite that there are clearly marked information circles on almost every sub-panel that explain everything, — is simply not appropriate.

I am quite happy that a lot of people are figuring out how to use it, and are able to take advantage of the tool. That said, no tool is ever perfect, and I am generally very happy to receive bug reports, or feature requests. In fact, in my original post at the top of this thread, I even included a link for submitting bug reports. Creating an issue there would have been a much more appropriate way to vent your frustration.

Kindest regards,
Konstantin

7 Likes

I’m sorry you either do not want to or cannot take constructive criticism. I have been a professional software developer for over 25+ years, and when I see something being published for public consumption, and it’s poorly designed, I tend to speak out. But if you’re happy with it, kudos to you.

@wizaerd you and me both. I have also been doing professional software development for over 25 years, and I learned that the way you deliver constructive criticism is often just as (if not more) important as/than the actual content being delivered. Your comment came through as abrasive and harsh, although – and I will admit that – text-based media often misrepresents the intended emotion. I am quite happy to accept constructive feedback – hence the Github link. There is no need for criticism, which is defined as “the expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes”. Makes sense?

If you’d like to continue this discussion, I invite you to do so the Github issues page here – https://github.com/kigster/laser-cutter/issues and https://github.com/kigster/make-a-box.io/issues. I don’t want to continue it here, as I don’t think it’s appropriate or useful to others.

Many thanks,
K.

8 Likes

It doesnt hurt to be nice. Your criticisms will be much better received and you might even make a friend out of it if you approach a little more gently. If this was a program you paid for and were promised a certain level of usability and functionality it might be a little different,but its not, and he spent his own free time to make something for people to use. Give him a break.

@kigster Thanks for sharing this! Its an awesome tool. Sweet that you put it up on github too! hopefully youll see some PRs rolling in soon!

3 Likes

My wife and i have been to getherfor 38 years, Primarily because I learned not to say “You’re doin, it wrong” instead of “Gee, I never thought about it that way, but…” :zipper_mouth:

7 Likes

My wife taught me not to argue with what other’s think. It’s OK to argue issues but no one knows the thoughts of another.

3 Likes

I am who I am, and for me, this was very nice. I did not give one single insult or utter a single curse word. I don’t pull my punches, and I don’t sugar coat. If you’re promoting something to the public, then it should represent your best. Just because it’s free doesn’t mean it can’t be improved upon. I offered some advice that my experience has given me on how it could be better improved. If the author doesn’t want such constructive criticisms, then that’s fine, and I’ll not offer further. Maybe I could be a bit more friendly about it, but I’m not a friendly guy, and I don’t really care to be friendly.

Wise woman.
Just the influence/perspective an engineer would need. :thinking:

1 Like
3 Likes

It was just a recommendation. Sometimes slight changes in the way you do things can make big differences, and turn into something better. I cant say I havent said the same thing about myself though, so at least you are honest about it.

I cant say I agree with you about always putting out perfect software. If its something you just threw together to accomplish a simple goal, with the intent of accomplishing something much more grand, I dont see any problem with it. He threw something together, was able to use it, thought others could, and even left it open on github for pull requests. Maybe you can help him out and branch/fork it and make some upgrades. Im sure everyone would appreciate the contribution.

3 Likes

Is there an option, or can the option be added to generate the box with one end open? Meaning that the top edge of the four side pieces would be a straight line instead of notched and the top piece would be left off? I can obviously modify the generated image to create this, but I think it would be a neat feature to the site.

My use for this is that I am going to design a card catalog for a filing cabinet that I have. Essentially just drawer inserts with several rows for Magic cards. There doesn’t need to be a lid since these are inside a drawer…

and then I see that there is discussion in the comments on the site on this very topic. I should just learn to read thoroughly.

3 Likes

Chadmart1076,
You can take the base file and modify it however you see fit. I played with this briefly today on our plasma table. I had the site generate a 6x6x3 box, opened the pdf in Illustrator and exported it as a dxf. Then squared up the top edges in AutoCAD and rearranged the pieces into a rectangle to reduce cut waste. I could have done it all in Illustrator or a similar vector program but I work in ACAD every day so it was the fastest way for me.

This was just a quick first try and can certainly be improved on my next attempt. I need to play with the settings to tighten up the fit. It was a fun little project to give my brain a break from a mountain of paperwork this morning.

kigster,
Thank you for all of the time/effort you put into this cool tool! I can definitely see use for this on multiple projects in the future.

12 Likes

Nice little project, I have wanted a plasma table for ages (in fact don’t tell anyone, but I almost went with one over a glowforge).
It would look sweet with the joints filled in with brass brazing rod!

3 Likes

Me too.
My Son’s GoTorch/Hypertherm Powermax 45. I was drooling all over it.

The brazing idea rocks. Ground flat, and polished or brushed. That would stick out.

3 Likes

But you get “dad” rates on using it, right?

2 Likes

Absolutely!
It was my freehand work that inspired him. He hung out with me in the shop. He is a metallurgical & materials engineer now, so the lessons now go the other way - kinda like the hand me downs…

3 Likes

You guys are right, brazing the joints would be a real nice touch. Now I need to add learning how to do that to my to do list.

I made a lid today to complete box version 1. It has a nice press fit feel. I’m fairly satisfied with the results and have good notes for improving V2.

13 Likes

Very pretty!
If you can tig, you can braze.
Just use a silicon bronze filler rod, and flow it in there. You don’t need to worry much about strength or penetration here since a little bit of bronze on those box joints will hold forever.

3 Likes

That is really neat looking. How heavy is that thing?
I especially like the lid-strengthening/brace/press-fit insert (there is probably a correct term that I don’t know). It’s a shame that it has to hide inside the box!

And now… the more I look at it… I want a steel Mr MeeSeeks box!

Guess I will have to wait until I get my Glowforge and make one from laser-cut wood instead.

4 Likes

That really is very nice steel work!

2 Likes