Operating Environment

I read in the draft manual that the Glowforge should be operated in an environment that is less that 75 degrees F. That seems very low as an upper threshold. I set the thermostat in my house at 77 degrees. Is this an accurate statement in the manual?

5 Likes

I think it suggests that’s the best operating temperature, rather than the necessary upper limit.
John

3 Likes

It’s not affecting the pre-release unit here…it’s generally a degree or two warmer than that. The Basic might just pause more frequently to cool down in warmer environments. I don’t think any of the testers have actually seen it happen though, so can’t say.

4 Likes

Thanks, I feel a little better.

I know that when it is too warm, the GFUI will tell you it is too warm.

Since it is monitoring temperatures, I would assume that you will also get a “too cold/not warm enough” notification. Worse case would be that you would need to let it warm up (or put a space heater in the room for 10 to 15 minutes).

Once it is warmer, then turn off the space heat (especially if it is on the same circuit as your GF :glowforge: - which pulls 6.5 to 9 Amps of power at 100 to 120 Volts).

1 Like

The lair stays 80-82 all summer as it is the warmest room in the house, works great.

3 Likes

The July Update under “Pause When Warm” talks about how the unit operates now and how it will soon operate. It will pause when it is operating too warm and resume after it cools down. Currently it just powers through with the potential for a degraded cut. None of the Pre-Release units have as yet experienced a temperature related problem. That’s not to say the Production units will operate at the same temperatures as the Pre-Release units. We just don’t know.

Continuing the discussion from July 2017 Update (latest):

Pause when warm
"Another feature that’s coming soon is the ability for your Glowforge to pause when it’s over temperature. Today, when your Glowforge is operating in a room that’s too warm, it just keeps going - even though cut and engrave quality may suffer. Thermal pause extends the lifetime of your tube by letting it cool down when the room it’s operating in is too warm, and ensures that long prints in a warm environment look as good at the end of the print as they did at the start. It’s pretty neat - the print just pauses for a minute (or more if it’s hot in the room), then resumes right where it left off. The improved cooling system on the Pro works with the feature so it can operate in a warmer room and pause less, too."

6 Likes

Yes, I wanted to give a heads up about this because it will catch some people by surprise otherwise.

Right now, units are allowed to operate when the coolant is beyond recommended limits and right up to the “do not exceed” temperature. They only react when the coolant is at critical levels, and then they kill the print.

We’ll be adding safeguards so they pause when the coolant is out of the recommended range, then seamlessly restart. Basically, prints in hot air just take longer. We’ll also add a sanity check at the start - if ambient temp is too high, we know the coolant can’t cool enough, and it won’t start until it’s somewhere cooler.

In practice, we’ve seen no pauses at the office (~70F ambient) over even long prints, but if you blow warm air into the intake, it will alternate between printing and pausing.

The functionality (pause/resume) works great; right now, we’re analyzing sensor data plus discussing with our tube vendor to figure out the right limits.

17 Likes

My house thermostat is set to 80 throughout the summer. Do you have an estimation of what temps will cause the GF to pause frequently throughout prints?

Fall - Spring won’t be an issue, but summers can get fairly hot (only up to about 110, not near the temps of 120+ I’ve seen others posting, with asphalt temps above 150!)

1 Like

I don’t know the limits are off hand, but 80 degrees will likely be too hot for a Basic I’m afraid.

2 Likes

Dan, Thanks for the clarification. I feel a lot more comfortable with the environmental limitations in the manual with your explanation.

80 is a cool day in Florida, I was running last night between 88 and 91. Glowforge is in my garage.

Just give us a warning that tube replacement likely to be more frequent (or don’t roll this out until filters have shipped please?

2 Likes

If you use the filter all the heat the machine produces will end up in your room, heating up the machine.

1 Like

I have plenty of AC capacity in the house to deal with the heat load. It’s a smell thing for needing the filter, I don’t want to punch a new hole in the wall and just spent a lot of money for good double hung windows

not in love with that, some of are in condos that don’t have much control of our environments. in my case our radiators are plumbed in series so when the heat is on its on for all units. and it triggers at 68F outside temp YES I KNOW OUTSIDE TEMP!!! totally irrelevant of what inside temp is. I run my window a/c’s 11 months out of the year in Massachusetts.

guess we will just have to see what happens, I hate the idea of having a software limit in that could be um ‘over conservative’ but that’s what we get for cloud based software

1 Like

My GlowForge moved inside yesterday. I did a few short cuts after an engrave and got an orange button!!! on the GlowForge.

It was only 95 :grinning:

Did a real fast venting joy with materials on hand so hoping filters aren’t too far away

5 Likes

You have a forever unit. Remember that, as far as we know, the thermal pause is not yet implemented and only when the unit reaches some unknown maximum limit will it refuse to operate. I might worry about tube life when operating in extreme heat until the thermal pause is implemented.

“Thermal pause extends the lifetime of your tube by letting it cool down when the room it’s operating in is too warm”

7 Likes

And that is where it rightly belongs. :grin:

6 Likes

And there is a nice message that displays saying that in the future they will implement a pause and cool down but for now it terminated the job.

I was happy to bring the unit inside, temperatures only go up for the next couple of months

5 Likes