Origami, physics, engineering, rocket science

Oops, sorry, my bad! Definitely did not mean to imply you were dissing his results–just wanted to mention other possible applications.

1 Like

Looks like lines on white stock are kind of a bust. If I adjust the line greyscale a useful pattern of perforations can easily be created to get the desired effect… (My file was boogered and I had dots all over the card instead of just 3 straight lines.) …but what it shows if you blow up the pic is that even the smallest dot creates a brown spot. No smoke damage just tiny brown perforations.

10 Likes

Could be useful on brown cardstock!

1 Like

Figure I’ll only get back to it if I have ever have a need. Someone else might solve it.

2 Likes

I actually just ran one on origami paper. (Not just because of this…I’ve had PMs from a couple of other buddies regarding origami potential as well…)

Let me post it after dinner though…I haven’t started it yet and if we don’t want cereal again I’ve got to get started…(like now.)

10 Likes

I gave up and had cereal tonight instead of cooking the pork tenderloin in a mushroom sauce that I planned. Just too much laser work today. It was the weeding that did me in. 30 minutes to weed all the pieces to a new print of the LED box frame. The worse was the spiral design which I did again on 1/4" acrylic. Those little diamonds just don’t come off easily. I am growing large thumbnails for weeding bits in acrylic.

10 Likes

You can use a scrap piece of acrylic as a scraper to weed acrylic. Non-marking, no scratching and pretty quick - just rub it over the engraving.

10 Likes

Tips and Tricks thread! :wink:

1 Like

Have you tried Gorilla Tape yet? I keep a roll of it at my desk now… as someone who’s done a lot of laser peeling, I won’t say it changed my life, but it kinda did.

15 Likes

Im really going to have to get a couple rolls of that… Ive been doing a lot of engraves with tiny details…

which kind are you using? Theres a number of different types

I’ve been using regular masking tape, and it could definitely go more quickly…

22 Likes

has been some time since I did origami, but as an graphic designer I find the creased paper even more interesting than the folded product, which is nice to look at. When I need to fold paper (for brochures and the like) I prefer slightly scored lines, because, as you say, it’s more structually sound. by the way, I never had any problems with the scoring beeing on the outside fold, only with too much scoring. :blush:

for origami you might have to score certain lines on one side of the paper and the rest on the other.
hmm complicated. or you just score lines which are needed at a later stage, where the paper is already thicker do to previous folds.

I believe it’s this:

but even duct tape works great.

12 Likes

If you can handle the large roll, it’s less than half the price for essentially the same amount

8 Likes

Been using Gorilla Tape since day one with the Pre-Release. Works on 100% of the cuts and 90% of the engrave weeding. Definitely a time saver.

6 Likes

Does that mean you could make a silkscreen pattern on a glowforge? I assumed the holes would be too large…

5 Likes

And Amazon is half the price of Home Depot. I switched to GT a few years back. The silver Duck or duct tape is way less consistent and I always seem to get sticky residue.

Never done silk screening before. No clue.

What a great idea! No more light sensitive emulsion or blocking goop mess. Just blast away tiny holes where you want to print. I hope the idea pans out!

I wonder what the best material would be. Mylar? Something thicker?

I was pondering silkscreening with lasers months ago, but was off on the wrong track…

5 Likes

Why not silk? Easy enough to get 100% silk, and it can be burned safely so I’d assume it is laser safe… you might have a little beading, but the cuts are so small it might not be an issue…

1 Like

Wouldn’t you have to treat the silk with something so the ink doesn’t go through where there aren’t holes?

1 Like