Oriole Feeder

My mom saw an oriole trying to drink from her hummingbird feeder the other day, and got all excited about it, so I went searching on Google to see what kind of feeders you use to attract orioles. This is the design that resulted.

It’s constructed of PG thick acrylic, and the kerf is TIGHT. All the feeders I found in my Internet search were at least partly orange, so I’m assuming that color attracts orioles. I wanted to do the sides in clear acrylic for better visibility, but I didn’t have enough on hand, so I settled for yellow instead.

The hole in the bottom is 3.78" in diameter – I sized it to fit a set of little glass bowls she already has (you put jelly in it for the birds). You might need to adjust it to fit whatever you decide to put there.

The holes on the sides have spikes so you can stick half an orange into each one.

The pink lines on the floor are scored – I figured it might help give the birds a little better traction on the smooth surface.

To assemble, put the sides onto the bottom FIRST, then add the two halves of the roof, one at a time. I didn’t have to use any glue, but I did use a ratcheting clamp and a rubber tipped hammer. I found the best method was to squeeze with the clamp and then tap with the hammer to encourage the acrylic to pop into place.

Here’s the file; as with everything in the Free Laser Designs section, it’s for personal use only: Oriole feeder.pdf (9.9 KB)

Happy Mother’s Day!

58 Likes

Wow, that looks awesome and I think the yellow is nicer than the clear would have been. That is a great idea too.

4 Likes

Very nice @geek2nurse thank you for the share.

4 Likes

Thank you for the generous share.

5 Likes

Thank you, Ruth…it’s so cute! Happy Mother’s day to you, too.

5 Likes

Nice. I’ve been wanting to design a bird feeder where I could attach a 360 camera inside.

3 Likes

Definitely a bright design. I don’t think I have seen a oriole since I was 8 but I recall they have bright colors, so would be on the lookout for those colors or similar more than most birds.

4 Likes

That is pretty amazing. Thank you for the wonderful share!!!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!! It is beautiful!

2 Likes

It’s so charming! And generous!

Pardon my bird ignorance, what is the purpose of the “spikes” in the openings of the yellow side pieces?

3 Likes

note above

3 Likes

Looks great geek2nurse. What size it the one that you made?

3 Likes

What a great idea! I like the detail on the roof line- makes it look like a chalet!

3 Likes

Also love the roofline!

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this very useful design.

2 Likes

The roof is around 5-6 inches long (front to back). It’s smallish. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So one sheet of 16X 20 will do the trick?

1 Like

Not directly as uploaded, it doesn’t fit within the print area, but with a minute’s re-arrangement:

(as uploaded:
image )

8 Likes

Thanks for this super cute design!

2 Likes

Super nice. Thanks.

2 Likes