Ornament - Grandfather's House

Figured I would share a recent project and the story behind it.

I recently found the original blueprint for the beach house my Grandfather built in 1946. By this time, three of my uncles had returned from WW II and each contributed to fund the construction of the home. My Grandfather had purchased the lot in 1939 with plans to build shortly after. Obviously, world events prevented this. His goal was to create a place where the family could gather (he had nine children) during the summer for the swimming and fishing and fall/winter for duck season.

Here is the front elevation which contains dimensions allowing me to set a proper scale.

As a treat for the family, I opted to make an ornament of the house. It has had some alterations over the years so the model I made is the house in its current state. Aside from the glue that holds the battery case, this is a glue-free construction. (I hate glue and showing my connection points.) So aside from the posts holding the roof pieces, this was, for me, a successful implementation.

Medium draft board makes up the body of the house. The roof is medium walnut, providing contrast. And to provide some contrast on the windows, I opted to leave the cover paper from the draft board in place, giving the look of a shade.

Internally, I put a 3v LED light and a battery holder which is glued to the rear wall. The battery is fed into a slot on the roof, allowing for replacement.

Here is a short video showing all sides and the light up process.

I am happy to say that the house is still in the family, having passed through the generations and family struggles to land with me as the current curator. I can tell you that I continue to honor my Grandfather’s wishes. Every Summer the home is filled with family and friends. Our goal is to make the house a place of joy and lasting memories.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays to all.

53 Likes

Welcome to the community!
Very nice project, inspired by a great personal story!:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Looks amazing

5 Likes

I do not know what I love more. The beautiful story or the gorgeous ornament,

6 Likes

Beautifully done – I really like the way you accommodated the battery!

9 Likes

This project is terrific on so many levels. Thank you for sharing it with us.

5 Likes

First of all, welcome to the community! If this is the first thing you’ve shared, I’d love to see what else you have done! Fantastic job. And I am so happy that the house is still in the family.

5 Likes

What a wonderful ornament! Thank you for sharing your story, it gives us even more appreciation for the project.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I love this ornament - it’s beautiful and so is the story behind it. You did a fabulous job!

4 Likes

This is beautiful, what a cherished ornament it will be!

5 Likes

This is beautiful - and congrats on finding the blueprints!

You could totally make a picnic basket out of this house! The roofline is calling for it!

3 Likes

I can see putting the two pieces that “hang down” from the rest of the roof on swivels, and then just using them as fold down handles for your basket.

4 Likes

Too cute!

1 Like

Great story! Great work! Your family will love it!

2 Likes

Simply wonderful, and I’m tremendously impressed by the glue free and visible finger free construction. I wish you’d teach me how to do that!

1 Like

What a great ornament, and a wonderful story to go along with it! It looks beautiful, and I can only imagine all the memories your family home holds!

1 Like